OVER THE NEXT few weeks, Steve and Bucky became nearly inseparable. Steve didn't know if he had ever connected to another person so completely and so fast before in his life. Sure, he felt guilty about being glued to the hip with Bucky while he was still married, but that marriage wasn't going to last much longer. Besides, Hodge had checked out of their relationship long before Steve had even gotten fed up with him and his dear ol' husband's me-me-me behavior.

One of the things that Steve found most endearing about the alpha was how excited he was when it came to the baby growing inside of Steve. Sometimes, Steve liked to pretend that Bucky was the father, because boy, did he really screw the pooch when it came to that department and he hated that Henry-or-Lily had to grow up not knowing half of who they are. But with Bucky around, it was nice to imagine that little baby cozy and nuzzling in the alpha's muscular arms.

It was nice to imagine himself wrapped in those arms too, but that was just going to be Steve's little secret.

Entering the Loch Firm level of Bucky's brownstone, Steve headed into the waiting room and up to the receptionist's desk. Sitting there was a beta male that Steve had never seen before. Usually, Steve was greeted by the quiet omega, Ava. She was kind, if shy, and would always ask Steve how his bun-in-the-oven was doing.

"Hi, I'm here to see Bucky," Steve told the brunet.

"Name?"

"Steve," he answered, watching the brunet type on the computer.

"Do you have an appointment with Mr. Loch?"

Sheepishly, Steve rubbed over his protruding abdomen and admitted, "No, but –"

"I'm sorry but seeing Mr. Loch is by appointment only."

Feeling wrong-footed, Steve lowered his voice, "I'm a friend of –"

"Everyone is a friend of Mr. Loch," the man said, bored and unimpressed, "Even when they're really not."

"No, I'm actually –"

"You can make an appointment if you'd like, but it's a pretty long wait –"

"Please, can you just call –"

"Sir, you can either make an appointment," the man interrupted, sternly. "Or you can be removed."

"I'm –"

"Steve?" A female voice asked.

Turning, Steve found a vaguely familiar redhead standing in the entryway of the waiting room. In a sharp, excellently tailored dress suit with her orangey-red bob sleek and very professional.

"Is Mr. Rumlow giving you a hard time?" She asked, approaching the receptionist and Steve.

Marking over his own abdomen, Steve tried to soothe the spaghetti-squash sized unborn pup, "No, he's just doing his job."

"But is he giving you a hard time?"

Steve avoided looking at Mr. Rumlow because he was being a little rude, but he was just doing his job. It wasn't his fault that protocol insisted on appointments and removing unruly and uncooperative individuals.

Steve shook his head, "No."

The woman wasn't convinced. All she did was turn her gaze to the brunet on the other side of the desk. The beta seemed to sweat instantly under her attention as he apologized, "I'm sorry, Ms. Romanoff, but I was just –"

"This is Steve," Ms. Romanoff told him. "He's a personal friend of Mr. Loch and doesn't need an appointment."

"I understand," Mr. Rumlow swallowed thickly. Looking at Steve, he told the pregnant omega, "I'm sorry for the misunderstanding."