13: Promotion

You wanted to see me?

Ah, yes, Exodius. It's about- It's about what happened with...

I know what you mean, Zavala. Now what is it you-

We found her body.

What? How? Where?

In the Deep Stone Crypt. A fireteam completing a strike found her. They brought back her body immediately.

I...I think I need to sit down...

Please, do. You'll be here a while.

Can I see her?

In due time, yes. Right now, no. I need you focused on the mission.

Why tell me about this when you know I need to see her again?

I am aware of your wants that you believe are needs, but I need you to stay focused. I told you so you could have something to work for.

I already had something to work for. Now you just make me worry.

We all worry at this point Exodius. The Black Fleet is on its way. Empress Caiatl finally reached out to me. The same goes for Mithrax and Mara. All will be here shortly to discuss further on what we need to do to keep our people safe. This means I won't be leading as much as before. That is why I called you here.

I don't think I understand Zavala.

I'm promoting you to Vanguard, Exodius, or I should say, Commander.

Does Ikora agree to this?

Ikora was the one to suggest it. In fact, she has appointed Dara as Warlock Vanguard already. We've planned this for a while now. As plain as it is, there is no Hunter Vanguard. We already know what happened to her...

That would be an honor, Commander, but I don't-

That's you now, Exodius. Lead us to victory.

Wait, Zavala! You can't just do this...

We are running out of options. Now, I need you to run an operation to regain lost terrain. I'm told the coordinates-

No!

I don't think I heard you correctly.

No. I'm not doing this.

What do you mean? Speak your mind, Titan.

You sound...You sound just like her. I don't think I have the fight in me anymore to do this, Zavala.

Every guardian has the fight in them. You just need to look-

WELL I'M TIRED OF LOOKING! I AM SO SICK OF IT! All of this, pointless dying to protect something that has already been taken away. I don't think I can take this anymore... I just...I just want her back...

I understand.

No you do not. You will NEVER understand. All you focus on is the logical things, the things we can do to win a war we've already lost. Think about Cayde. I didn't see you jumping on board when she went to avenge him. When WE went to avenge him.

That was a mistake on my part.

Oh, you think? If it weren't for us, you and everyone in the Last City would've died. I'm leaving. I'm so sick of this shit.

Exodius! This isn't what-

SHUT UP! I'M NOT HEARING ANOTHER WORD OF THIS! Not anymore...