Melting

I looked at the blade sticking out of my chest. Had I even noticed someone was behind me?

"Allow death to take you slowly." The voice broke through the chaos of my thoughts. "This is as far as you go." That voice...It sounded familiar.

I was brought to my knees. I felt dizzy. I had never thought it would end this way. Looking around, I desperately searched for the person who would be responsible for my death. I felt strangely cold as the sword was pulled out from my back, and I completely fell to the floor. Sounds seemed to echo as I processed what was happening.

The voice spoke once more, "It should be over soon..." I followed the sound of the voice and met the gaze of the one who'd be responsible for my death. His face was covered by a mask, and all I saw were his eyes.

I tried to speak, but only air and ragged breaths left me. Clutching my wound, I attempted to get up. No use. I was going to die like this. I began to feel dizzy, and my vision blurred.

Those eyes still proceeded to stare with great intensity. I knew I had seen them before. My assailant seemed cold, calculated. His expression was deadpan. That is how I knew I wouldn't be able to make it out alive. And all he did was stand there, waiting. Waiting for me to die.

Anxiety seeped into my mind as my brain flooded with thoughts of death. I don't want to go, not yet. I know I've made mistakes, but I can fix them! Let me fix them!

The voice let out a noise. He was laughing. He was laughing at my pain. I winced as he sent a powerful kick to my stomach. I was almost in tears from it, and he kicked me again. Why was this happening to me? What had I done?

The pain almost became too much for me. I was in the fetal position on the ground. I should be dead by now. But I wasn't. Things weren't making any sense. Why haven't I died yet?

In that moment, I began to look past my assailant. The walls. Were they.....melting? Was any of this even real? I couldn't get up still, but I began to realize there was no pain. What the hell was happening?

The man grabbed me by my hair and lifted my head up. He was examining me. He looked confused. "You should be dead by now." He was wondering the same thing.

My chest felt fine now, and there was no longer a wound. The only pain I felt was from him clutching my hair tightly. We stared at each other for another five seconds before we heard a loud thud.

Our heads turned toward the noise. He let go of my hair, and readied his sword once more. I had no weapons on me, so I just kept my eyes fixated on that one spot. The walls were no longer melting.

A tall, dark anomaly stood up. A low ominous hum emanated from it. It had what looked like sharp claws for hands, and its body kept changing form. The anomaly seemed to float as it moved, but in short quick bursts.

Impossible.

I thought he was dead.