14: Selflessness

[???] Hey, how've you been?

[Exo] Who are you? You know what? I don't care. Get out.

[???] Woah woah woah. Don't pull the trigger. I guess she didn't speak of me much... I'm Shiro-4, used to ride with Cayde and Andal back in the day, heh. I'm also friends with-

[Exo] Shiro, I remember now... You left us.

[Shiro] Excuse me?

[Exo] You weren't there for the Red War. You weren't there when your friend Cayde died. You weren't even there when our home faced Darkness! Now, you're here, when what used to be the Last City's savior dies. What a good friend you are.

[Shiro] I know what happened. I'm sorry. Don't be so upset, you know that's not what-

[Exo] Don't say her name. Don't say that's not what she would want. She's not even here! She's...She's gone... My clan leader, my best friend, my partner...All gone.

[Shiro] Exodius...

[Exo] Without her, I am nothing.

[Shiro] Exodius, listen to me. This isn't what-

[Exo] WITHOUT HER I AM NOTHING!

[Shiro] What do you not understand? I'm here to help.

[Exo] Well I'm done. I'm done with- with all of this. Forget the Last City, forget Zavala. Go bother someone else.

[Shiro] I guess there is no getting through to you. I guess all Titans are the same, ignorant blockheads. I'm leaving. Hey, Dara, aren't you a part of-

[Dara] Shut it Shiro. I'm here for him. Exodius, look at me when I'm speaking to you.

[Exo] No.

[Dara] Cut this shit out or I'll slap you.

[Exo] No. Leave Warlock, it's the best you can do now.

[Dara] HEY! I didn't come back from my studies of the Darkness to hear your sob story. I could have been connecting some dots right now! I know what happened too, and I am probably hurting more than you. I've known her since we were New Lights. Fresh from the grave, together.

[Exo] You did?

[Dara] Yes, I did. Well, she came first, but it was around the same day.

[Exo] Why are you here? You wanna try what he did?

[Dara] Stop assuming or I'll hit you again. I know, that...that...I can't say her name. I know that all of her actions had a reason. She took down gods alone because she didn't want others hurt. She made weird noises and voices because she was bored. She never won a Crucible match against you because...well...I don't actually know, but she did it all for a reason!

[Exo] She did always lose...I knew she could beat me...

[Dara] Exactly! Now, think back to when she saved you. What happened?

[Exo] She pushed me into some secret room of the Deep Stone Crypt, then locked the door. They captured her. I could see it all so clearly, but they couldn't see me. I saw how they forced her Ghost out, how they broke him, releasing her Light. I'd never felt so powerless.

[Dara] I felt it too. Every guardian did.

[Shiro] Every guardian...

[Exo] What did you say?

[Shiro] Every single guardian felt her Ghost's death. Usually, it's only those in a certain radius, and the Deep Stone Crypt is probably the farthest destination we've ever had. Do you know what this means, Exodius?

[Exo] No, I don't follow. What does this mean?

[Shiro] I'll let the Warlock explain.

[Dara] Thank you, but I have a name. Dara. Anyways, this means, well, this means our clan leader's Light was very strong. Stronger than anything so far.

[Exo] Then why'd she die? Why did she save me, when she could have saved everyone? All she had to do was let me-

[Dara] That's wonderful that you said that. It's actually because it's you. She saved YOU, remember. I bet if it were anyone else, except for maybe me, she would have tried something different. Her main priority was to keep you safe Exodius. Don't think so much when the answer is right in front of you.

[Shiro] Well, I think in this case, he's the answer.

[Exo] Really?

[Dara] Why of course it's you! I made that girl's face red every single time I mentioned you. She really cared about you. I mean, yeah, she cared about everyone, but she was obviously particularly fond of you.

[Exo] I am already aware of that. You should know I'm fond of her too. But what does that have to do with why she let herself die? All of that power, and I still don't get why she let it go.

[Shiro] Because she was out of options. She didn't know how much of the enemy was truly present, and it would've been a risk to reveal such power.

[Dara] If she did, they would've known, and probably used her against us. Our own clan member, forcefully turned into our enemy. Then, and only then, the Darkness would've won.

[Exo] So, what you're both telling me is that, she needed a solution to both keep me alive and the Last City safe. Apparently, her dying was the answer?

[Shiro] As weird as it may sound, yes. That's what we've been trying to tell you.

[Dara] Listen to me. Now that you know the truth behind it all, now that you know it wasn't all for nothing, what are you going to do about it?

[Exo] I'm tired of running. Let's finish this war, once and for all.

[Shiro] There he is! The Almighty Exodius returns!

[Dara] Glad to have you back on board. I'll be with Ikora if you need me. Later haters!

[Shiro] Heh... Here I thought convincing you there was a purpose to keep on going would've been like moving a mountain. Oh, right! Hey Exodius! Catch!

[Exo] Keys? For what?

[Shiro] Just a figurative way of saying your new ship is outside. Come, take a look.

[Exo] The Queen of Hearts... Thank you, Shiro.

[Shiro] This technically belongs to you now, legally, if you know what I mean. I'll be heading off now, have fun.

[Exo] Yeah... We're finally ending this war. Once this is all over, Dara and I can fix up a grave for you, in the Dreaming City perhaps. You can finally rest, you've done enough for us already...