Chapter 7: As a Family

The gym was packed. Well, as packed as it could get for a small town like Wellicker.

"Oh, good you made it!" Mira beamed as she walked over to us, meeting us at the white plastic table that served as Cana's check in booth. "I was able to get you registered, so all you need to do is check in!"

Cana grumbled from the table. "You better not get me into trouble with my old man, that's the last thing I need right now." Her elbow thumped on the table as she propped her head up, part of her black wavy hair falling into her face. She was clearly nursing a sick hangover.

"Oh don't worry!" Mira chuckled. "Besides, I'll make it worth your while."

Cana huffed. "You better." She shifted her gaze slightly toward us. "You Natsu?"

Crossing his arms, Natsu puffed out his chest slightly. "Sure am!"

Cana took a few notes down before handing Natsu a piece of paper. "Here's the schedule. You're first fight will be in ring two against Sting. If you win you move up and fight the next person on the bracket yada yada yada.... Yea you get it. You can warm up over there." She pointed half-heartedly across the gym to a bright blue mat where various other contenders were stretching.

A large shadow passed over the half-dead form of Cana. "That's my little girl for you! Always heading straight to the point!" Gildarts extended his hands out as if going to give Cana a hug, but she flicked him away in irritation.

"Lay off, dude!" Cana put a hand to her head as if the effort to shoo away the man's affection took all of her remaining energy.

Gildart's face fell. "So cruel..." he brightened up slightly as he shifted his head to greet us, his slicked back brown hair and scruff making me think he hadn't seen the sharp end of a razor in weeks.

"Looks like we got a new face around here!" He eyed Natsu with a small smile.

"Yea! Just got into town and I'm ready to show people who's boss." Natsu chuckled evilly.

"Now that's what I like to hear! A real fighting spirit is just what this gym needs!" Gildarts crossed his arms, a smirk adorning his face.

"Natsu, this is Gildarts Clive!" Mira piped up offering proper introductions. "He's Cana's father as well as the owner of this gym, not that you would know it from how little time he actually spends here."

Gildarts shrugged. "Hey, it's not like this place is actually high maintenance."

"Like hell it isn't!" A raspy old voice popped up from behind the giant form of the gym owner. Gildarts side stepped out of the way revealing the small stature of a much older gentleman, white patches of hair marking the sides of his balding pattern, with a thick white mustache to match.

"Mr. Makarov! How great to see you!" Mira brightened her smile. The old man continued to glare at Gildarts.

"You have absolutely no idea how much work goes into keeping this place up and running!" He pointed his cane accusatorily at the taller man. "If I had even half my youth left I would beat you to a pulp every which way from Tuesday, then I'd lock you in the back office until every single stack of paperwork was filed!"

Gildart's held his hands up defensively, his face one of exasperation. "Alright, alright calm down. I'm sorry."

Makarov huffed, before looking to the rest of the group. "I swear. No respect." He straightened slightly as he nodded to Natsu. "You should go warm-up, the first bracket will be starting soon."

"Right!" Natsu gave me one last look, the excitement ripping its way through his body. "Wish me luck!"

I gave him a reassuring smile. "Something tells me you don't need luck."