Chapter 14: Let the Games Begin

I stood there in the darkness of the alley, a slight breeze rustling my half pulled back hair. Natsu was silent for a moment, his face stern and his eyes narrowed as he stared at the Underground Vigilante, Jellal.

"What happened to your face?" Natsu's voice broke out with unparalleled social ineptness.

My jaw dropped.

Jellal's eyes closed, looking down with a sigh. "It's a birthmark."

Irritably I grabbed Natsu's crossed arm and started to shake him.

"Oh my God Natsu, what's wrong with you?! You can't just ask someone..." I paused finally processing Jellal's words. "Wait...what?"

Jellal rocked, shifting his stance on the concrete.

"It's a birthmark. I was born like this...at least I think."

I blinked, staring at the mixture of red swirls that marked his eye. It was unlike anything I had ever seen, and yet I hadn't even thought to question it. Such a precise design, it seemed almost impossible that it could have been anything other than a tattoo, and yet...crazier things had happened as of late.

"You...think?"

He paused, pondering his response to my pointed question. I could understand the desire to keep secrets, but considering he had already showed us his face, and shared his name upon first meeting, despite such odd circumstances, he didn't seem to be one of hesitation.

"Well...it's a rather long story." He cleared his throat. "For the moment, I'm actually much more intrigued by yours."

I straightened my back, letting go of the grip I had held onto Natsu's arm.

"That's kind of a long story too." I chuckled nervously while rubbing my arm.

"I see. Well..." He held out his hand, leading down further into the alley, beckoning us into the darkness. "The night is young."

I looked at Natsu, a small part of me asking him to be the voice of reason. Of course, you shouldn't follow the stranger with an eye tattoo further into a dark alley. You know, normal precautionary safety you learn in Kindergarten, stranger danger and all that.

Natsu's dark eyes met mine, upon which his shoulders raised in a shrug.

My eyes rolled sarcastically. 'Thanks for nothing, Natsu.'

With a strong breath, riddled with anxiety and curiosity I stepped towards the blue haired stranger, following him into the darkness.

Eventually, I lost track of the turns we took as Jellal lead us about the back streets of town. It was a test of the geographical knowledge that I had built up after a whole life in the small town.

Natsu pulled his arms over his head. "Why do I smell snow cones and someone with a lot of unresolved issues."

I blinked, turning my head slightly to the left to stare at Natsu, his face nonchalant.

"What would that even smell like?"

Natsu hummed as he thought about it. "I don't know, salt and regret?"

I shook my head, my brow furrowing in confusion. "What even is your sense of smell?"

Natsu shrugged.

We made another right turn, and I started to notice how the buildings slowly started to transition in an array of trees, the smell of oak almost overwhelming. Realization dawned on me.

"Oh actually, isn't Grey's cabin nearby?"

Jellal paused pushing through a layer of foliage revealing the outline of a wooden house and shed.