Chapter 37: Multicolored Mercy

Natsu tossed and turned on the floor of Levy's room, the sounds of clinking and muttering creeping its way in through the closed door. His face twitched ever so slightly as he lost himself to the world of dreams.

"Damn it, Natsu! Did you hear me?!" Laxus's voice boomed over the communications array, however the words barely registered as the wind hit his face, the clouds floating by as they tried to increase their flying speed. He felt the tug on his shirt as Happy lifted him higher in the air.

She was with him. He had brought her to Magnolia. What was he planning? When he had agreed to help Jellal this was the one thing he had wanted to avoid. Then when whole towns started to disappear, replaced with hoards of shadowy monsters, he knew he couldn't do this alone.

Wendy floated up next to him, Carla gripping her tightly. "We heard you loud and clear, Laxus. We are on route." Wendy spoke confidently, her eyes dead set in front of them.

With a rush of cold air, they passed through a group of clouds. Natsu's vision blurred with the fog, but as they passed through the other side, he saw it, clear as day. It was large, larger than Natsu would have anticipated, with the various metals glinting in the sunlight. Zeref stood, a black haunting figure amongst dazzling metallic light. But more than that, he saw her. Slumped, and crumpled at his feet.

Natsu hung his head, his face darkening as he clenched his fist.

"Happy." He growled. "Get me in close."

Happy looked down, determination passing over his face. "Got it."

With a burst of energy, the wind racing in his ears, Natsu saw as the floating metal platform drew closer and closer.

"Natsu!" He could hear Wendy calling from behind, but he couldn't focus on that right now. There was nothing except Zeref and the reckoning that was coming.

As they drew near, Zeref looked up towards him, his dark eyes flickering red. In a moment of unspoken agreement, Natsu nodded to Happy, and he felt the grip on his shirt loosen and the rush of gravity pull him downward as he covered himself in flames.

"Fire Dragon's Iron Fist!" He yelled as he dived downward, ultimately slamming into Zeref's dark body. Zeref flew backward with a grunt, clutching his jaw as he made his way back to his feet.

"I must say. I may have seriously over-estimated your attachment to that girl." He groaned as he stretched his neck. "I thought for sure you would've sacrificed everything if it meant she would be safe."

Natsu didn't respond, standing over Lucy's limp form, strands of her blonde hair flipped over and covering parts of her face. He noted the slight rise and fall of her chest from weak breathing.

"Well, no matter. Luckily for you, I'm not quite through with her yet." Zeref was distant and nonchalant.

Natsu's lip twitched. "If you think you are coming anywhere near her, you're wrong!"

Zeref chuckled. "I was never asking you for permission." He spread his arms wide. "These events have already started to unfold! There is nothing you can do to stop it!"

There was the distinct rumbling as Natsu heard various battles carry on beneath them. Everyone was fighting for their lives and for their home.

With a light flutter, Wendy landed softly behind Natsu, and without missing a beat ran directly for Lucy. She hovered her hands over Lucy's unconscious frame, pale green light echoing from her palms.

"How is she?" Natsu growled without removing his eyes from Zeref.

"She's weak, but stable!" Wendy called, excitement and relief underlying her youthful tone.