Chapter 28: Nothing Quite Like It

I was running so fast I thought for a minute that I was flying. My sandals barely touching the ground as I thought about nothing but my destination.

There was a chance.

A small, minute, wonderful chance.

I skidded to a stop in front of the hotel.

It was quaint and rugged much like everything else about this town. Entering the lobby and seeing how the lighting glittered in a silent gold I had to take a moment to catch my breath.

The lobby wasn't busy, not that I was surprised since Wellicker was hardly close to being a tour destination. In fact, if you looked past the golden lighted atmosphere, you could see how the wallpaper was peeling slightly at the edges.

As I wandered to closer to the reception desk, my gaze continuously scanning the lobby and the brightly colored sofas and chairs, I heard as a rustling emanated from behind the counter.

My head turning to the sudden noise I caught a glimpse of the familiar middle-aged woman with heavy pearled adornments and thick rimmed glasses. On instinct I ducked beneath the nearest gaudy green couch as a jolt ran through my spine.

'Oh, crap!' My jaw was tensed as I hid from the landlady. I peeked back at her from behind the armrest.

I sighed. 'She didn't see me. Thank goodness.' Relief phased through me. Although I knew that she currently held no memories of our life in Earth Land, I couldn't help but feel that the instant she saw me she would stand there with her hands on her hips and demand that I pay her what I owed, despite our current situation.

I heard a latch click and felt a brisk wind as the front door opened and an ominous aura settled over top of me.

My head still peeking from behind the couch I caught a glimpse of the dark raven hair and the steeled expression.

I gulped as I hunched and made myself as small as possible, my lungs tight with the certainty that he would hear my shallow breaths and react accordingly.

His footsteps thudded as he walked past the couch that hid me from his sight.

"Ah, professor. Welcome back..." The voice of the landlady made me grimace.

The air remained stale as he refused to reply, the echoes of his steps receding down the hallway towards the string of rooms.

The landlady huffed as she crossed her arms. "Just when you think the next generation can't get any worse."

Uneasiness settled over me. I supposed she wouldn't be too excited to know that Zeref was, in actuality, far older than all of us.

I was able to breathe easier, knowing that the ominous presence was fading farther and farther away from me, but my legs still quaked preventing me from leaving the hiding place I had acquired.

I closed my eyes and attempted to steady my breath, clasping my hands to my chest.

"You can't sleep on my floor." My eyes bolted upward seeing the shadow of the landlady peering down at me. Her eyes raged with the same passionate flame she held whenever she tracked me down for money.

I gulped.

"Oh, no I'm sorry I wasn't-"

She growled. "Then are you getting a room?"

I waved my hands frantically. "No, I wasn't here to do-"

Her aura flared. "Then get out! I don't have time for non-paying customers!"

I yelped and bolted from the room as fast as my feet would carry me, leaving nothing but a trail of dust behind me. "I'm so sorry! I'm leaving!"

I leaned against the side of the building, the cool night air caressing my skin. I sighed as I pulled out my cellphone and clicked it away from the black screen.