Chapter 20: Until the End

My skin crawled with the constant feeling of being watched, those dark eyes with flecks of red forever imprinted in my mind.

A shudder ran through me as I finished wiping the metal counter.

"Okay, that's it. What's going on?" Jet threw down his towel on the opposite end of the counter to my left, eyeing me with conviction.

"N-nothing!" My stutter betrayed me.

"Yea, sure. You've said all of three words since you came in and have been wiping that same spot for half an hour now." He crossed his arms, his red pulled back hair tilting slightly as he cocked his head. "So what's wrong?"

I stood silent as I gripped the dish rag tightly, the rough cloth rubbing my skin raw.

Jet's eyes softened with concern as a sort of realization hit him. "Is it the concussion?" He shook his head vigorously. "I knew you were working too hard. I told you to take it easy!"

"No, that's not-" I bit my lip to keep the words from slipping out. What could I even say? That the new visitor in town is an evil maniac who's now breaking into my apartment? Although, even that I couldn't be sure of. It all sounded so paranoid, even to me. "I just haven't been sleeping well. That's all."

I avoided his gaze, staring down into the tile floor.

"Yea, okay. I'll pretend to buy that."

My head shot up to see him, his features sharp and discerning.

He sighed, letting his arms hang loose before he positioned them on his hips. "Look Lucy, I've known you long enough to know when something serious is bothering you. But if I've learned anything, I know you'll reach out for help when you need it." A soft smile caressed his sharp face. "And when you do, just know that Droy and I... we got your back."

My cheeks tightened as I let out a smile.

Before I had the chance to respond, and let him know how much his encouragement meant, the bell tolled the entrance of a new arrival. I twisted my head to welcome the new guest but was surprised when the dining room floor was empty except for the small glint of morning light through the glass windows. "Huh?" The muddled word of confusion slipped past my slightly parted mouth and furrowed brow.

Jet cocked his head and raised an eyebrow. "Lucy?"

In my shock, I frantically looked around the diner in swift movements to determine the source of the bell if it hadn't come from the front door. In a last effort I leaned over the serving counter, pausing as my stomach dug into the edge, my neck craning to see over the lip.

Standing just barely short of the height of the counter, innocent and sweet, was a little girl. Her eyes were a clouded green, with her cheeks containing the soft roundness of youth. She wore robes of billowing light pink, and her hair splayed out in long and rich waves of heavy blond. I was caught speechless as she smiled up at me.

I absent mindedly rubbed my left hand as part of me felt I should be reverent to her, despite the age gap between us.

"Lucy?" Jet waved his hands to my side to try to get my attention. I ignored him, my eyes glued to the ethereal figure in front of me.

The young girl started walking back towards the front door, her bare feet making no noise as they landed on the tile. As she reached the glass entrance she looked back at me, expectation in her eyes.

"Lucy!" Jet shook me, worry and concern digging lines in his face.

"I have to go." The words came out flat as I did all I could to look him in the eyes instead of straining my neck to make sure the little girl was still at the door. I knew she would be. She was waiting. Waiting for me to follow.