Chapter 24: This is My Promise

For a moment, I thought I was floating amidst tiny bits of multicolored starlight. With every inch of my skin tingling, it felt like I was touching the deepest parts of the farthest galaxies with just the tips of my fingers.

Perhaps I had been falling for a hundred years. An eternity even. After all, time wouldn't exist out here amidst the streaks of scattered worlds.

Despite seeing how the river of an endless expanse flowed past me, I didn't feel like I was moving, rather my own footing felt as sure as if it was set on solid ground.

"It sure took you long enough to get here." The familiar tone, drenched in sarcasm and attitude caused me to move my gaze from the great beyond to whoever had appeared behind me.

She was beautiful, with her hair a vibrant turquoise, and a circlet adorning her head. Her collarbone was marked with an elegant tattoo, her long torso extending down into an iridescent blue tail. Tears welled in my eyes as I stared at her, glimpses of moments rising to the surface of my choppy memories. Splashing her carelessly as a younger version of myself bathed, and calling for her using fish bowls, or small cups of water, all of which was met with her unadulterated fury. But despite that, she always stayed by my side.

"A...Aquarius?" My voice was tentative, placing no faith in my own recollection of events.

"Your memory finally starting to come back, huh?" She crossed her arms as a small cocky smile covered her face.

I furrowed my brow. Memories.

"I...uh... I don't." My words lodged in my throat.

Her face fell as she dropped her arms to her hips. "Alright, alright. Don't hurt yourself." She sighed as we stood in silence for a moment.

My gaze fell back to the colored void. "What is this place?"

Aquarius grunted. "What am I your tour guide?!" Her anger was palpable as I shriveled in front of her.

"I'm sorry!" I squeaked.

After a moment of her frustrated growling, she sighed and leaned away. My head lulled forward as I let out a breath of relief.

"This is the dimension drift."

My head perked up.

"Dimension drift?" I instinctively repeated the unfamiliar words.

Her jaw tensed. "Don't make me repeat myself!"

I waved my hands in front of me in apology as I muttered out my remorse.

"Because I know you're an idiot," Aquarius continued, her opening statement a blow to my self-esteem. "Yes, this is the dimension drift, or the energy that exists between universes."

My brow furrowed.

"Between universes? So, Levy was right!"

Aquarius's mouth turned to a scowl again. "Do you want me to explain this or not?!"

I hung my head. "Yes, please."

"Long story short, because I don't have all day to waste on you," She held out her hand as she looked at her fingernails, eying the manicure. "Every different universe that exists is surrounded by its own energy, or aura if you will. Just like any aura, it stretches and bends as a free-flowing force. Occasionally, if worlds are close enough together, those energies will overlap creating a bridge between both. Yada yada yada, weird stuff happens people see wild things like UFO's etcetera."

Her eyes fell on me to ensure I was listening.

"However, sometimes, there are people who can manipulate the drift and purposely create those bridges. People like you."