2 - A Strange Bonding

Vanraj walked into the Shah House head bowed. Ronnie had immediately run away when he noticed Hasmukh.
And the other two girls.
The one who had fallen over him had stared at him go, dazed. The other was busy scolding her.

"Arrey, why is my lion grandson back home so early?", His grandfather asked, in his usual boisterous manner.

"Your Vanraj lied to us and went to the Banerjee Puja Pandal.", Hasmukh said drawing in a sharp breath.

Unlike his father and son, Hasmukh was shorter in height. Reaching only to a five feet seven, while both the other men were well above six. Another reason why Bhairav never had any pride in him.

Bhairav raised a brow.
Vanraj immediately looked down, gulping nervously.

"So? What is the big deal?", His grandfather asked.
"Big deal? Baba he lied at home. That is the big deal. Hence, he is not going out for the rest of the festival.", Hasmukh announced.

Leela immediately stormed out of the kitchen, in defence of her beloved son.
"How can he not?! What if he lied? Anyways you make such a drama of everything!", Leela snapped.

Vanraj looked up, slightly taken back at the tone his mother used.
But today Moti Baa wasn't around to ask her to calm down.
And his grandfather never had a problem with his mother shouting.

"Lies is lies Leela! If he gets into a habit of this he will lie about bigger matters in future! Your son needs to learn the difference between right and wrong!", Hasmukh said immediately.

"Yes.", Bhairav said sharply, "But you won't teach that."

Vanraj could see where this was going.

"Baba—"

"Vanraj did what normal men do. It's garba night, he went out to have fun. He doesn't need to justify himself to anyone. Anyways he is so much worthy than you. Under you my factory is just going into loses. And my poor grandson is taking time out to do part time jobs to run the house. So you should really not teach him, Hasmukh.", Bhairav said.

"I am his father.", Hasmukh said, feeling a lump in his throat. His father's word stung him, he refused to let him define him, but they stung anyways.

"A worthless father—"
"Dada ji!", Vanraj spoke up sharply.
Bhairav looked at him, taken aback.
"You will talk over me, Vanraj?", Bhairav asked with narrowed eyes.
Vanraj stood with clutched jaws, saying nothing.

"Your father is hopeless, Vanraj. Try not to be like him.", Bhairav said as he walked down to his bedroom.

"Yes. Don't be like your Bapuji Vanraj. Don't end up weak like him.", Leela said scoffing.
Hasmukh looked down, feeling tears well up for the nth time.
He was still not man enough. He knew he would never be.

Vanraj stood still, wordlessly.
Hasmukh turned. His eyes lowered.

"Bapuji I—"
Hasmukh placed a hand on his arm, on his way out of the house.
"Don't beta. Don't be like me. But don't be a liar either.", He said in a raspy whisper, "Try not to hurt or humiliate others."

Saying so he walked out the door.
The door had names engraved on a metal board, in Hindi.
Bhairav Shah
Vanraj Shah.

Anupamaa sat in the empty park with her orange popsicle. It was right beside the garba festival that was still in full bloom.
"Anu.. I'm going home. You're not even dancing, just sitting here with that ice cream!", Devika said irritably.

Anupamaa's mind was stuck on the stranger boy she had crashed into hours ago.
Those eyes, the shade of mountains lit in the morning sun. Somehow they made her giddy.