~FIFTEEN~

________________________________________________________________________________

His texts made her more and more guilty, because it wasn't his fault. None of it was his fault. Her heart broke more and more, into pieces but she couldn't text back. No. Otherwise everything she did would be for nothing. The distance she kept from him...would be for nothing.

"Umm, Kushal?" Iris called out to Kushal. He turned to look at her. "What's wrong with Akanksha?"

He looked at Akanksha who sat completely straight on the office chair. She looked directly at the computer screen.

Her eyes blinked abnormally trying to send back any tears that may have made it into her eyes. Her nose red like she had a horrible cold, sniffling and coughing she turned away from anyone who could see her.

She quickly wiped away her tears. She turned back with a smile that looked as genuine as her actual smile.

"Kya hua bhai? Maine kuch kiya kya? Aise ghoor kyu rhe ho?" He continued to stare at her. He turned to Iris, asking her to get back to work.

"Kannu, kya baat hai?" She shook her head.

"Kuch nhi...kyu?" Kushal closed the door to the office and sat in the corner of the room.

"Ab bol, tu ro kyu rhi thi?" She shook her head once again. "Nhi bhai mai ro nhi rhi thi. Aap ko bas aisa laga hoga."

Kushal kept staring at her wanting the truth. "Bhai sachi kuch nhi hai."

She wanted to open up to someone but she just couldn't. What would she say? She fell for the heart throb of India who probably didn't like her back...even if he did...she was just too cowardly to let him into her life? That was just stupid and she knew it. So she covered it with a smile.

.

.

.

Akanksha sat in a corner of her room, her hand over her mouth trying to cover any sound that might come out. She didn't want to wake Chitra up. Her whole body shook for every sob she stopped. She cried over every single one of his texts she didn't reply to.

"Shubman, I'm sorry, I'm so so so sorry." She whispered in the softest possible voice. Her arms wrapped around her legs giving the effect of someone else's comfort and warmth.

"Please mujhe maaf kardo. Please." Her voice broke every single sentence as hiccups interrupted her every word. "Shubman I like you. I like you so much. But I can't have you and I can't hurt you any more. This will be the last time. I promise. Please ek baar hass do." She watched all of his matches on repeat hoping to be able to see his smiles...he didn't smile though. Not since she had stopped texting. She watched many videos of him. Many fan fictions. But nothing stopped her tears that cascaded down her cheeks and even her throat.

She couldn't wipe away all her tears. After all, her eyes cried at the intensity that her heart felt.

"Shubman, please help me. Just please do something. Please...please convince me that you are the right choice. Please..." Every single tear dropped on her phone causing it to automatically slide past his photos onto the next one. She knew there was no way that was possible.

"I wish you liked me too...but even then, I can't do that to you. Or to Chia." It was the photo of him in the Royal Perth show. Where he didn't look at the camera, but rather at her. "Bohot bolte hai yaar log. And what if you turned out to be the same as...I can't take that chance with Chia." She felt like her emotions drowned her but she couldn't do anything to reduce it. She caused it after all. She caused everything.

"I'm sorry Shubman. I'm so sorry." That night, like every other night...she fell asleep on that very floor with her arms around herself. As sleep always seemed far away without her eyes being tired from the tears that stung them regularly.

________________________

Shubman found himself in front of Burger planet, waiting for Akanksha to get out of work. It was 5pm and the time her shift ended. When they used to chat, he'd found out much of her schedule so he knew she ended her shifts at 5 on Wednesdays. It was 5:10, he had been waiting for 15 minutes but he got no signs of her coming out. So he walked in instead.

The restaurant looked the same as the first time he'd been there, organised and clean. He walked in looking around to find Akanksha. He didn't see anyone. He stood at the counter, waiting for someone to assist him in finding her or just her.

He waited in front of the counter for a minute or so before someone came out...it was a young boy, around 16-17 years in the workplace uniform.

"Hey, how may I help you today?" He asked with a professional smile. Shubman didn't hesitate to immediately ask for her.

"Could I talk to your manager please?" The boy fiddled, slightly nervous. "Oh don't worry, it's nothing bad." Shubman passed him a smile behind his mask.

"Oh no problem then. I'll get her." He left for a second and out came Akanksha. She looked horrible. Her eyes were bloodshot, dark circles that looked completely black. She had tied her hair in a messy bun to stop it from shooting out to different directions. Her pores looked very prominent from the lack of care she gave to her health. Her eyes were lowered to the floor with dullness in them. He didn't ever think he'd see that look on her when he first saw her. Before looking up, she immediately changed her expression to happy. A pretty smile and eyes that shone even in the dark.

"How're you today?-" Her smile dropped.

________________________________________________________________________________

It's not like Akanksha can't see how Shubman feels...imagine such a big celebrity actually talking to you...well lets say me. No way in hell would I ever think he liked me! Literally, what are the chances? With me? None!! That's how she thinks too. Overall she just can't believe it. 🤷‍♀️