Chapter 27

Austin and I got on good terms, but we never had sex again

I might be overthinking about it and he could be telling the truth so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. I was traumatized with what I went through with Lukas at hindi pa ako ready na bumalik sa gano'ng sitwayson. If pushing Austin away would be key for me to have a peaceful life, I would do it even though it was painful to see him getting so confused and hurt at the same time.

I know he couldn't blame me. The trust I put in Lukas before was overflowing, and I ended up making myself look like a fool. I could have fun with Austin, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to give him the trust that I also gave away before.

I helped him pack his stuff when at times he jokingly said I could still change my decision and come with him back to Siargao, pero hindi na talaga magbabago ang desisyon ko. I was already set in that situation that I couldn't take it back anymore. 

On the day he was about to leave, nagdadalawang isip ako kung sasamahan ko ba siya papunta sa airport o hahayaan ko na lang siyang umalis. Parang ang sama-sama kong tao. Matapos ang lahat, ipagtatabuyan ko lang siya ng gano'n. I knew what he would be feeling right now, pero hindi niya lang pinapakita sa akin, but I could sense it. He was just trying to pull off this happy, smiley Austin I'd known, but behind all those beaming smiles, he was hurt by what I did. I was sorry, he accepted it. Now, we were moving on.

Even though my heart and mind were at battle, I still chose to go with Austin to the airport rather than just leave him be. We arrived one hour earlier before his flight. Normally, we would be holding each other's hands pero walang gano'n ngayon. He was pulling his luggage while I was just walking next to him.

I wasn't able to get into the passenger passageway so we took the farthest door where non-passengers can enter the airport on the departure floor. I caught some people looking at us, mostly at Austin. When we reached the security he had to go through so he could check in his luggage, I knew we had to end it at that moment.

He turned around and looked at me. Whenever I stare into his eyes, I get lost in it. Sometimes, I wish it was the first time. I would love to get lost in those eyes again and again, but this time, I was lost in the real world, and trusting someone else might bring me into a place I would be lost forever.

"I guess, this is it. . ." he uttered. "Can I hug you?" he asked for permission. Tumango naman ako at saka hindi na siya nagpatumpik-tumpik pang yagkan ako at ikulong sa mga bisig niya. I could smell his natural odor—smoething that I would long for.

"You need to check in now," I muttered while I was still in his hug. "If you won't leave by now, you might not catch your plane."

Umalis siya sa pagkayayakap sa akin at tiningnan niya ang smart watch. Nakakusot ang mukha niya nang tumingin sa akin. "I still got a lot of time to spare. If I could just hug you forever, I would. I'm not going to tell you again to come with me as I respect your decision, but if you have ever changed your mind, you know that Marina's house will always be welcome for you."