Chapter 4

When I met new people, it was easy for me to hang around with them, and quickly became friends after a few drinks and chitchat

When I met new people, it was easy for me to hang around with them, and quickly became friends after a few drinks and chitchat. I'm not sure how this is different from those days I went to the clubs and get drunk with my friends. This just feels out of my hands or maybe there are a lot of things going on around at the moment for me.

I walked inside the room where Austin went in. The room was wide enough for two beds, it has great ventilation as there is a sliding door passing through to the balcony. The wall are painted cream and next to the beds are wall-mounted cabinets and a desk on each corner. 

He placed my suitcases on the left side of the room where there is a bed but no sheets for the bed and pillows.

"This side is yours," he said, pointing at it. "It got no pillow sheets and comforter yet, you might have to ask Marina for that."

"Yeah, I will... thanks..."

"No problem," he said and smiled at me. Though he shifted his attention away from me. I felt a little awkward in his presence and I'm not sure why. "If you need something, just call Marina downstairs..."

I nodded when he said that, but I had to call him before he left.

"Uhm..." I couldn't say his name out loud even though it was already planted at the back of my head. "You don't mind I'll stay here for a few days, right?"

He shook his head. "Don't worry, I don't mind... just make yourself feel at home. Marina loves hosting travelers on the island..."

"Oh, that's nice... thanks..."

He smiled at me and then walked out of the room after that. As soon as he vanished from my sight, muli akong napabitaw nang malalim na hininga. I really had different things to do in mind when I thought I'll be going to Palawan, but I'm just a stranger to this island and don't know what to do... or even start what needs to be done.

I stood up and find myself walking towards where the balcony is. Binuksan ko ang sliding door and the wind quickly gained entry and somehow made the room a little bit cooler. The balcony is smaller, it could fit one chair facing each other and could fit four people if we were all standing next to each other. The railing was made out of stone and what I like about it was the fresh air brushing into my face.

I tried calling Cory, but she wasn't picking it up. I feel like she was with Douglas at this moment and all her attention was put on him. Hindi naman ako 'yong jowa niya so she doesn't have to put up with me everytime.

I vowed once I came to the island, I'll keep myself away from social media and just use my phone for texts and calls to family and friends. I started deleting the apps I had on my phone, especially the gay dating app I thought could help me to cope, but not really. It just makes the situation worst for me.

Looking outside, the house stood just across the street. There were other houses nearby and I think mostly are for rentals. I have little to no idea about Siargao. I only knew that this island are being flocked by foreigners and local celebrities who decided to live on the island and get out of the spotlight. Maybe this island has its own way to make people, a tourist like me, could make this place home.