XIV

Mapi's POV

The audacity to show up after disappearing.

And the audacity of my heart screaming at me to forgive her. Because the more I sat here driving and overthinking the more I realized that Ingrid had a point.

I could only imagine how terrifying it would to be kicked off the best team in the world. It must have been a blindsiding, gut wrenching hit when she got the news, but she didn't even share it with me.

She was my other half. I felt so complete every time I saw those light green eyes and that dark black hair every morning. Then one day it was all just gone. The girl I truly cared about was just gone with no explanation.

So maybe I did deserve one now and maybe if anything she deserved a chance to give me one.

"(Hey siri, call Ingrid.)" I shook my head as I pulled over on the side of the road seeing the phone ring.

"Maria?" Ingrid's soft voice echoed on the other side of the call.

"(You deserve a chance to explain yourself. I loved you enough that I deserve an explanation as well.)" I sighed hanging up the phone. I sat on the side of the road for a moment making sure I was doing the right thing but my gut told me I needed to talk to Ingrid at least one more time.

Even if that meant leaving Braylee with Lia Walti right now.

~~~~~

"(I'm ready to listen.)" I sat down trying to prepare myself for the worst.

"I can't explain to you how sorry I am." Ingrid gently held my hand as she sat beside me. She small gesture lacked the usual butterflies accompanied with it.

I mean technically she could explain how sorry she is but I'm not sure she's sorry for what she did to me or sorry about the consequences of it all now.

"Barcelona wanted more strikers and with the most competitive midfield on a single team they decided I no longer belong there anymore. They cut my contract so quick that I panicked. I couldn't think of what I wanted to say to you that I didn't say anything. I went into protect mode." Protect mode, seriously?

What about me? Ingrid and I seemed inseparable. Then she thinks that I'd leave her because a move in her career? I loved her too much to do that. I didn't care if I had to travel. I would have made anything work but the lack of communication suddenly just felt wrong.

She went into protect mode, but what about me? What about protecting me?

"(You didn't even try?)" I raised my eyebrows in disbelief.

"I was scared Mapi!"

"(And I was destroyed and heartbroken!)"

"You don't think it hurt me too? You think I wanted to leave? I know I messed up but I am trying my best to fix us."

"(No Ingrid, there is no us anymore.)" I shook my head frowning at the fact that I could not get over the way she gave up. There was nothing left to fix still.

I should have kept driving. I should be getting Braylee right now, but I wasn't I was too focused on what should have been rather than what should be.

"(You can't just make unilateral decisions in a relationship like that! We were a team and you took sole control of pur fate. That wasn't fair to me or us.)"

"Mapi, I still love you."

"(And if that was the same for me I would have forgiven you already and we wouldn't be this far apart still...I let go. I can't go back now.)" I sighed standing up. Trying to give her another chance would only hurt me further.

"(I'm sorry Ingrid. I shouldn't have called you back here, but we both needed the closure.)" I frowned as I opened my arms to wrap the tall Norwegian in a tight embrace. I needed the closure and I think deep down she did too. Maybe if we find ourselves on the same team again, but she could have been right about one thing. Being on a different team is too hard. Not being on different teams and dating but being on different teams and trying to repair what we once were.

"Closure? That's all this was? You would have gotten closire earlier Mapi. You're not ready to let go yet either, admit it?"

"(I wasn't, but I am now. I know what I'm doing is right. You made the decision on your own last time to break up and now it's my turn to make the decison that we stay that way."

"So just like that we're done?" Ingrid voice dropped and I nodded.

"(It doesn't feel to great to be on the other side of that decision, does it?)" I bit my bottom lip realizing I had successfully showed her how I felt that night.

"Good luck with Braylee. I just think you're making a mistake though."

"(You would know a thing or two about making those wouldn't you?)" I rolled my eyes escorting her out of my place.

Was she being jealous or was there some truth to what Ingrid was saying? Maybe she was sent here by someone to get me away from Braylee. For all I know Braylee could be a manipulative heart breaker or she could be the most loving amazing person in the world.

For all I know Braylee Parker is an absolute monster. I should know that 'looks can be deceiving' and yet I always let them fool me. I moved on from a set of light green eyes of betrayal to a new bright blue-green set of mystery.

And yet I couldn't avoid trying to find out. Because even the girl who I thought was the love of my life couldn't keep me distracted from her, Braylee Parker, the American striker from Arsenal.

A\N: I'm writing a lot of books rn and I'm in school with full time jobs so sorry if some of these chapters feeled rushed or wtvr

It's because I get a good idea then forget like half way through but want to finish writing the chapter

Anyways if you're ever waiting on this one I have plenty of other stories that I like more than this one💀