Chapter 1: Cruelty

(Pierce has a strong sense of smell like Tanjiro in this story. Also, they're in the same timeline as in the demon slayer timeline, and they are in Japan, so you'll see somethings that are from Japan in this story.)

TW: Blood and Character Death.

It was a snowy day, and Pierce was filling up a basket full of charcoal. After he finished, he heard his mother calling out to him.

Pierce's Mother: "Pierce, you aren't going to the village in this weather, are you?"

Pierce: "It's fine, besides I want to get enough money for some medicine for Noi."

Noi had gotten sick with a cold a few days ago, so he had to stay inside while Pierce did most of the work selling charcoal. His mother walked up to him to clean off the soot off his face with a rag.

Pierce's Mother: "At least clean off the soot, your face is covered in it."

After she finished, Phoenix and Percy came out of the house.

Phoenix: "Big brother, are you going to the village?"

Percy: "I want to come with you!"

Pierce's Mother: "Oh no, you're not!"

Percy: "But why mother?"

Pierce's Mother: "Because you can't walk as much as him, and he can't use the cart today, so he can't give you a ride when you're tired."

Percy pouted and ran up to Pierce, hugging him.

Percy: "Big brother, I promise I'll help!"

Pierce smiled at his little brother and patted his head.

Pierce: "That's nice of you, Percy."

Percy smiled.

Pierce: "But you have to stay here today, okay?"

Percy got upset at that.

Percy: "Aaww!"

Pierce tried to cheer him up.

Pierce: "Don't worry, I'll bring you some sweets when I get back."

Percy: "Really!"

Pierce: "Yeah, and Phoenix, I'll read to you, okay?"

Phoenix: "'Kay!"

Pierce's Mother: "That's kind of you to do, Pierce."

Pierce: "Don't mention it." "Now before I go, I'll check up on Noi."

He headed inside and into his and Noi's room. Once he opened the door, he saw Noi sitting up from his futon reading a book. He then walked up to him.

Pierce: "Hey Noi, how are you feeling?"

Noi: "Oh hey Pierce."

He closed his book and placed it on his lap.

Noi: "A bit better than yesterday, but alright." "You're heading to the village?"