beautiful butterfly

"Cass, is that my mom?" Shawn says as he stares across the highway, "I think so." I say, squinting at the woman in the motel window, "Come on." Shawn says, shooing me out of the driver seat, "Are we going over there?" I ask as I climb over to the passenger seat, "No, we have to tell Cory." he sounds shocked, excited and nervous all packed into his one little body. I'm excited for him but I'm also shocked and nervous too. Why did she come back? Is she going to leave again? Is it going to break Shawn?

++

"Cor, how long has it been since I've seen my mother?" Shawn asks out of breath as he's dragging me through the halls to the cafeteria. Shawn and I skipped the first half of the day, we kinda got distracted and busy since Chet wasn't in the house when I went to pick him up today. "You mean since she took her little vacation?" Cory asks. "She ran away. She ran away for a year, deal with it; I have." Shawn says. "And you're doing much better." Cory says sarcastically. "Thanks, now how long has it been since I've seen my mother?" Shawn asks again, "Is he ok?" Cory looks at me, "How long has it been, Cor?" I huff, "I don't know, how long do you think it's been?" He asks Shawn. "Five minutes." Shawn blurts out and Cory furrows his eyebrows, "We saw my mom, Cor. She was right across the street at the Trailer View Motel!" Shawn exclaims, his eyes are so lit up with joy. "Cory, my mom's back." He sounds so relieved. Cory's mouth is agape. 

++

"You're telling me for the last year I've traipsed across these United States searching for my long lost Virna and you two find her right across the highway?" Chet asks as we break the news to him when he gets home. "It's her Chet." I reassure, "She's been watching us." Shawn says. "How long she been there? How's she look? When is she coming home?" Chet asks, "I don't know, we haven't been over there yet." Shawn informs, "Why not?" Chet exclaims. "I'm afraid I'm going to chase her away again." Shawn sighs and I rub his back, comfortingly. "You didn't chase her away. You're the only reason she stayed here as long as she did." Chet explains, placing a hand on his shoulder. "Did you go talk to her yet?" Cory asks as he barges in, out of breath. "I ran all the way here from school." Cory explains. "No, sit down." I shoo him towards the recliner. "Guys you have been looking for this woman for a year and now you've found her. Go get her before she leaves again!" Cory points out. "For once, I agree with Cory. No offense, Cor." "None taken." Cory waves me off. "No, no. It's like some beautiful butterfly that sat down just for a moment on the branch next to ya and you know if you so much as breathe wrong it'll fly away and you'll never see it again." Chet explains. "Really delicate situation." Shawn huffs. "We need someone who won't be thought of as a threat." Shawn adds, panning over to Cory. "What?" Cory asks and I roll my eyes. "Cor, go talk to Virna." I say, motioning towards the door. "Why can't you do it?" "Because you're the best friend. It's a little different than girlfriend." I say, "My mom might take her as a threat rather than you because you're Cory." Shawn says. "Thanks?" He questions and starts towards the door. "Come right back." Chet says.   

"I gotta get home before my parents lose their minds." I sigh, getting on my tip toes to kiss Shawn gently. "I love you." "I love you too, call me tonight." Shawn says, kissing me again. "I always do." I say softly "Bye Chet, see you tomorrow." I dismiss myself, "Bye sweet pea." He says patting the top of my head.

++

My stomach was cramping more and more as I got closer to my house, I was in trouble—not only was I late coming home, I missed more than half the day of school—I'm dead.

"Why weren't you in school?" My dad scolds as soon as I walk inside, "You left the house on time acording to your mother yet I get a call during my busy work day stating you weren't in school?" "I missed the first class." I lie, "Why?" "Because I got my period in the bathroom and I had to wait for Topanga to bring me a pad." I quickly make up a lie. He looks annoyed with defeat—how could he prove I was lying? "I'll be calling Jedidiah to confirm." He mutters and shoos me upstairs, please cover for me T, please.

++

"Are you two still in the window?" I ask as I walk in the next morning. "My cheeks hurt." Shawn says through his smile as he stares at the motel. "Come on, let's go to school." "You heard what Cory said, we just gotta wait here. I can't go to school." Shawn says, still standing in the window. "Shawny," I plead, "I can't miss another day, my dad is gonna kill me." "Then you go and come right back here after. I love you bye, have a good day." He says, still staring at his mother's motel. I groan, closing the door and going to school, alone.

"Itty, why'd your dad call mine last night asking about a period?" "Did you cover for me?" I plead, "Of course, you were stuck in the bathroom because you bled through of course." She says and I sigh in relief, "Thank you!" I exclaim, "What's going on?" "Shawn's mom is back and I didn't come to school long yesterday because he was really excited and we may or may not have got distracted and became late to begin with." I ramble, "You gotta let me know ahead of time, Itty. Your dad sounded angry, did you get in trouble?" She asks and I slightly panic, does she know? "What do you mean, trouble?" "Like, grounded. What else could I mean? Is there something you're not telling me? Friends don't lie to each other, Cassidy." She slightly scolds, "I just wanted to make sure. No, I didn't get grounded but I wanted to make sure I knew what you said incase he quizzed me about it later." I ramble again, slightly relieved that's all she meant. I don't always cover my bruises throughly, on accident of course—I never mean to show them, I can't let anyone find out. 

"Where's Shawny?" Cory comes up behind us, "Still in the window. Wanna stop by with me after school?" I ask and he nods, "Sure. I don't know why they don't just go up to her, they've waited over a year to find her." Cory scoffs, "I know, but they have their own way about it, hope it works." I huff. Shawn can't lose his mom again, he can't lose his dad either. 

++

"Look at your little butt." I tease at the baby picture of Shawn that Chet is showing me. Shawn looks at the box of photos happily, happy his dad is spending time with him, he needed this. "Hey." Cory announces as he walks in. He told me he'd come after and didn't want a ride, I wonder why? "Hey Cor." Shawn says, wrapping his arm around me. "Hey look, this is when me and your mother were teaching ya how to ride a bike." Chet chuckles and shows him and I the photo. "You were the cutest baby." I pout at how precious he looked. "Our family wasn't so messed up all the time, was it dad?" Shawn asks as he admires how happy his dad looked holding the back of the bike. "No! We had a kodak moment or two." He says followed by a chuckle. "Looks like you're riding indoors." Cory points out, grabbing the picture gently from Shawn. "Well sure that's Toys-R-Us." Chet answers, "Oh I used to love that store!" I exclaim softly. My mom would take me there after my dad had a bad outburst, in secret of course. I loved getting a new toy but I always hated why I got one.

"Have you guys been up all night looking at pictures?" Cory asks and Shawn nods, "Time sure does fly by when, well when you stick around with your son." Chet says, hitting Shawn's knee lightly. "Shawn, it's gonna be okay son." Chet begins, "I think I should go, this seems intimate." Cory chuckles nervously and quickly leaves the trailer; weird. "Bye Cor." Shawn mutters as the door shuts. "Why'd you say that?" Shawn asks his dad, his hand quickly shifts to mine as he plays with my fingers nervously. "Yeah, cause you and me still got each other and we got my secret plans." Chet chuckles and Shawn furrows his eyebrows, "Dad, don't start with the secret plans." Shawn huffs, "No, no, no! All your life I been telling you that I had these secret plans that could make us rich–well, I think it's time I let you in on 'em." Chet says and pats his shoulder. "So there really are secret plans?" Shawn asks with a voice full of doubt. "Uh-huh. And here they are-" "Should I cover my ears?" I add, "No, you're family, you get to hear these plans too." Chet says, gently and quickly tapping my nose. "For the rest of my life I'm gonna be the best father you could have." Chet says and the door opens behind him quietly. I squeeze Shawn's hand when I see who it is; "I don't think they're too much of a secret anymore." I say and nod towards the door and Chet turns to see Verna. "Can I come in?" She asks with a voice of sorrow. "I'll see you tomorrow, Shawny. Window is open." I whisper to him quietly. "You don't have to leave, sweet girl." Verna says and I shake my head softly, "I think this is a moment you guys should have together. They've really missed you." I say and she gently caresses my cheek before I leave Shawn's house.

As soon as I turn the corner to go down the three steps I see Cory, "Cor, how long have you been out here?" "The whole time. I came after you because I went to talk to Shawn's mom and I walked her over here." Cory admits, "That was probably the nicest thing you've ever done." I compliment him and he smiles softly. "Need a ride home?" I ask and he nods, "Thanks, Cass."

s4e5