Ch. 14

"Hey it's Jake. Leave me a message!" Beep

Aurora grumbled. "Jake, this is third message. Call me!" She snapped her phone shut.

Shortly after four in the morning when she heard her dad take his shower, get dressed, and leave for work; Aurora had jumped out of bed and rushed out the door to the reservation. She had been up all night long after Felix had left fearing that he was outside watching her. Maybe he was and maybe he wasn't, but she needed to get ahold of someone that knew where Paul was. Still, Aurora was driving to his house in hopes of catching him. Things would have worked out better if Jacob wasn't such a heavy sleeper and would answer his phone!

A thought came to Aurora as she opened up her phone again and dialed another number. She placed the phone to her ear and listened to the first ring. Then the second.

"Heart-breaker?" Embry answered tiredly.

"Bree! Is Paul still home?"

There was a yawning pause. "No, he and his dad left after you did yesterday."

Her heart dropped.

"Can someone get ahold of him to come home? I've tried calling him, but his phone keeps going straight to voicemail."

"Yeah no, he left his phone turned off at Sam and Emily's. He said you'd try to contact him and that he'd turn around for you in a second, so he asked them to keep it safe for him. I think he just wants to be left alone for awhile, Rory." Aurora let loose her tears of anxiety, and Embry picked up on it immediately. "Aurora, what's going on?"

She took a deep breath trying to remain calm. This wasn't really a phone call conversation. "Can you have the pack meet me at Sam and Emily's. It's an emergency."

Embry was alert now. "Tell me what's going on."

"You just tell them it's about Felix. My vampire mate."

There was a long silence, but she knew he was just wrapping his head around the severity of the situation. "We'll meet you there."

The call ended and Aurora sat back in the drivers seat finally allowing the tears to flow. Paul was gone. There was no way to get ahold of him. She had to hope that maybe he'd be back in a few days, otherwise she'd have to spend her days dead and hundreds of thousands of miles away from home stuck with a mass murderer.

Aurora wouldn't let that happen.

When Aurora pulled into the drive minutes later, the pack was already there. Sam and Emily were stood on their front porch in their night clothes. Jacob and Jared were practically asleep leaning on one another for support. Seth and Leah were sat on the porch steps yawning. Quil was questioning Embry whilst he tried his best to keep everyone awake. Needless to say, Aurora felt bad for having to put them through this, but she needed help.

As she got out of her car, Emily was the only one to approach her. She hugged Aurora as she always did, but this time it was more somber and less smiley as she knew whatever her friend was going through right now it would not be a basket of roses. Aurora gave a weak smile and nodded back at her in thanks as she released her and the two held hands and walked to the pack. They were tired and suspected that this talk was nothing more than Aurora realizing the mistake she had made and wanting to get Paul back. They would be sorely mistaken.

"What's this about, Heart-breaker?" His tone was serious, which made his heartfelt nickname feel a little out of place, but he knew more than everyone else there did just not by much.

"Yeah, Aurora. If this is some sappy crap about how you miss Paul, then I'd like to be the first to go home."

"Leah," Sam warned.

"No, it's alright Sam. I know what you're all thinking, but no this isn't what you all think." She gathered herself before explaining herself. "Last night I invited Felix into my home. I was trying to figure out what I wanted," Leah rolled her eyes, and although Aurora could have shut her up with the fact that she had two mates and she had none, she contained herself knowing what Leah was going through wasn't easy. She continued.

"I realized too late that I want nothing to do with vampires and that my life and Paul are both too precious for me to sacrifice. The only way I could get Felix to leave my home without harming me or my dad was by telling him that I chose him." The pack exchanged looks, figuring out what this meeting was about. "In one month Felix will come back to Washington and take me back to Italy with him to be turned into a vampire."

Jacob was awake now. "But you don't want that," he stated with a hint of anger in his voice.

Aurora shook her head. "I just wanted him to leave peacefully. He wouldn't have taken no for an answer. He would've changed me against my will and killed my dad!"

The tears started running down again as Emily brushed the hair behind her ears and hugged her again in comfort. Emily turned to the boys. "What about your telepathy? Is there a way we can get ahold of Paul through that?"

Sam shook his head. "Paul said he wouldn't shift while he was gone. Said he though Aurora would be around the pack and make him feel homesick."

"If we knew where he was," Jared added, "we might've been able to find him and have him come back."

"How long will he be gone for?" Aurora asked. The pack looked around for an answer and then back at Sam. He shrugged. He didn't say.

Auroras's heart sank deeper and deeper. He was so determined to keep himself away from her that he went completely off the grid. Paul expected Aurora to try anything to get him to come back, but he wouldn't be swayed by her. He went through every obstacle to ensure that it didn't happen.

Jacob came up to her. Emily pulled away and allowed Jacob to take over. He pulled her in close seeing her distraught and rubbed her back.

"We'll keep you safe, Rora."

Aurora looked up at him. She gazed out at the pack and saw their expressions in agreement.

"You're a part of us," Embry stated.

"If anything ever happened to you, Paul would absolutely destroy us." Quil added.

Emily took Aurora's hand and squeezed it gently. "Nothing will happen to you. That's a promise."