Chapter 8

I lay low the first few days. I stay off social media. I don't answer my phone, unless it's family. I spend most of my time in my room.

School is supposed to start in a couple of weeks, and I have no idea what's happening with my studies or what Ida has planned for me. On top of that, we have the Lockworth Gala next weekend, which means I need a dress. And a flight. And a hair and makeup team.

I can't do it. It's too much. There's too much to think about.

So I stay in my room with the door closed. I read and try to distract myself from all of the things weighing on my mind. I try to distract myself from conjuring up memories - memories that lead to shockwaves.

After a couple of days, there's a knock on my door.

I open it to find Molly, standing in the hallway.

"There's a delivery for you." She beckons with her finger for me to follow. There's a twinkle in her eye.

She leads me into the livingroom. And there, through the enormous floor-to-ceiling windows, I see what's she's talking about.

My jaw drops. Molly smiles.

"Cypher did it."

Outside, in our backyard, are dozens and dozens of snowmen. Each of them are constructed a little differently; some with mittens and scarves; some with buttons; some with carrots for noses.

"But... how?" I ask, incredulously, walking out the back doors with Molly.

Cypher comes strolling up, smiling from ear-to-ear. "I jacked 'em."

"You stole snowmen?"

He nods.

"But... from where? It's August..."

Cypher just grins.

I stare at him. And then I break into a grin. And then I start laughing - really laughing. It feels like it's been years since I laughed.

"I can't believe you did this," I tell him.

Molly puts her arm around me. She and Cypher hug me. They tell me they love me. That they'll always have my back.

Then Cypher smashes a snowman.

We make snow angels and have a snowball fight, chasing each other through the gardens, laughing and hollering, the white fluff melting in our bare hands.

Everything is going to be okay.

I've been forgiven. I don't deserve it, but this place is mine and I've been forgiven.

I'm back.

And that means there's something I need to do.