Chapter 54

The official story, when it breaks, is that Havannah and I had made peace. That she had come over to visit me for a girls' night in. That it was faulty electrical wiring that caused the fire. That I made it out in time - but she didn't.

Her charred corpse was found amongst the ashes and debris.

"That girl came with the intention of committing suicide," Dolores tells me during one of our sessions. She tells me that the demon face I saw on Havannah was a result of my clairvoyance.

"Your powers are getting stronger," she says. "You were able to see what was within her," she says. "All of her pain and suffering. You saw what she had devolved into. If we don't face our demons, we become them."

There are only a few people - like Dolores - who know what really happened that night.

Ashley knows. I tell him everything. I tell him why Havannah was so angry with me. That it's all my fault. I'm the reason Rosewood is gone. I'm the reason Havannah is dead. I tell him what she did with Cypher's car. That she could do the things I could do - only better.

He listens, patiently, as I'm crying and explaining everything. When I've calmed down, he finally speaks.

"When you came out of the fire that night," he says, "the flames... they parted for you." He looks at me. "They moved aside. I've never seen fire move like that." His eyes are full of wonder. And concern.

"You have an amazing gift," he says. "But you have to learn how to control it. And being that gifted comes with significant responsibility." His tone is serious, and his look is one of disappointment. "You have to be better, Devon."