Chapter 57

(Author's Note: We've reached the final chapter in book 2! I'm in shock, guys... I've been working on this story for the past decade (seriously) and a part of me was starting to question if it was just going to be stuck in my head forever. But now I'm working on book 3 - the final book in this series. I'm going to take the next month to finish writing it in full and then release it. See you all in March... ;)

I'm at Ashley's place tonight. It's my nineteenth birthday in a few days, but we're celebrating early because he's going to be away on business. He's made a romantic, candlelit dinner, gotten a gourmet cake and has decorated his massive kitchen with colourful balloons. He's even gotten me a gift.

"It's in transit," he tells me with a gleam in his eye. 

He says he has something important to discuss.

"We've decided to relocate all the Rosewood residents to our home just north of the city," he says. "But I don't think you should move in with them."

"Why not?" I demand.

"I think you should move in with me, instead."

I almost drop my cake in my lap.

"Think about it," he chuckles. Then he gets a call he has to take. He leaves the room.

While he's gone, I start thinking about everything that's happened. About everything I've seen. Everything I've been told. The flames of the tapered candles on the dinner table are stretching upward, demanding attention. Like they have something to say.

When Ashley comes back into the kitchen, I ask him point-blank, "Is it random?"

"Is what random?" he asks.

"The Lottery."

He gives me a surprised look.

"Havannah said something to me once about it not being random," I tell him, watching him carefully. "Is that true?"

It takes him forever to answer.

"I promise you," he says, looking me in the eye, "I will explain everything, and tell you anything you want to know - when the time is right. For now, I just need you to trust me."

His phone starts ringing again.

"Can you do that?" he asks.

I bite my lip. His phone rings again. He swears and tells me he has to take it. He leaves the room a second time.

The candle flames look like they're reaching for the ceiling.

......................................

The elementals are drawn to me. The fey want an alliance. The Lottery may or may not be random. And if it isn't.... why was I chosen?

All of it is running through my mind in the middle of the night. I get out of bed, get out my notebook and start channelling.

Gloria, I write, what can you tell me?

A storm is coming, she says. A steady hand wields its sword. It is in dire need of a straighter arrow. Yours must be worn. Must be straight. Must be narrow.

My arrow must be worn and straight? I think I'm being told to practice. I go out to the kitchen. Sit down at the table, in front of one of the candles. I sit there and I think.

The fey want an alliance. They want to overthrow the Queen. What does that mean for me, now that I'm dating the Son?

They want my help.

I get a match.

The elementals are drawn to me.

I strike it.

A storm is coming.