Chapter 53

The heat gives way to warmth. The darkness gives way to light. A light, just ahead.

It's so peaceful.

Someone steps out of the light. Someone I know.

"Goldie."

The warmth spreads all over me. I want to reach out to him. I want to hold him and kiss his furry face. I've missed him so much.

But I can't move. He comes closer.

"I really miss you," I tell him. "You never talk to me. Why don't you ever answer me when I talk to you?"

"You can't see me."

I don't know what he means.

"You can't see me," he repeats.

"Why?" I ask, dreamily.

His expression suddenly changes and his voice gets louder as he speaks. "It's time to WAKE UP, DEVON!" He lunges at me, his jaws snapping.

I jolt awake.

The heat is back. It's searing. The house is burning down and I'm trapped inside of it. I'm going to die here, tonight. And no one knows.

I can't hear Cleo anymore. I try reaching out to her, but there's no response. I have to try and get myself out. I have to try.

I roll over onto my hands and knees and start crawling, just like we learned in all those fire drills in grade school. I'm petrified.

It's not like it is in the movies. They and all the t.v. shows lie about what it's really like to be in a fire. They don't tell you that it's dark. That it's so dark you can't even see your own hands.

I sob, choking and coughing, trying to feel my way out. A couple times, I reach out and scream, feeling the flames lick at me. I keep crawling. I keep moving.

Somehow, I make it downstairs. And then, somehow, I manage to find my way outside.

Ashley is here, waiting for me. He comes running up to me, a look of amazement on his face. "Devon!" he calls to me. I fly into his arms and we just stand there, holding each other.

"I knew something wasn't right today," he says into my hair. "I just knew."

The fire trucks and police start showing up. I tell them my cat is still inside. I think she went up to the attic.

"Please," I beg them. "Please, save her!"

They can't. In the end, they can't locate her.

"I'm sorry, Cleo." My heart shreds and the tears roll down my face. I stand there, Ashley's arms around me. Together, with staff members and first responders all around us, we watch Rosweood burn to the ground.