Chapter 55

When I tell Dolores what Ashley said about the flames, she raises a brow.

"You have strong ties to the elementals," she says. "Nature spirits. They're drawn to you, it seems."

I decided to pay a visit to Rosewood's gardens, most of which were spared by the fire. It's been a week since it happened. When I asked Ashley if he and his mom are going to rebuild the house, he said probably not.

"We'll relocate you and the other Recipients to another residence," he says. The Rosewood property will eventually be sold.

It makes me sad to think I'll never read in these gardens again. Never walk down the paths. Never sit under the weeping willow tree, the way I did with Goldie.

One of the flower beds needs weeding. I pause for a moment, then get down on my knees and start pulling plants up by their roots, the way Ida once showed me.

It's peaceful here. I can feel my whole body relax as I work. I sit back on my heels after a few minutes and stare off into the distance, where the house used to be. It's just a heap of charcoal now.

There's nothing left for me here, but I just can't let it go...

I'm startled by a rustling sound in the bushes beside me. A little face pokes out between the tall blades of ornamental grass.

"Cleo!"

She runs over to me and I scoop her up into my arms. She nuzzles my face and gives my cheek a lick. "You're alive!" I telepath to her. "But how? How did you get out?"

"I jumped." She shows me an image of the roof of Rosewood. I look down at her little delicate face with amazement and disbelief.

"You, what?"

"I jumped." Her green eyes gaze up at me, proudly. "I can jump."