Chapter 49

It's not how I imagined it; it's much, much worse. Somehow, I didn't think it would be this bad...

But there it is. All over the internet for the whole world to see. On every news site, entertainment sidebar ad, and social media platform: the picture I sold to New Money Magazine for four hundred, twenty-five thousand dollars. The one I took months ago at the restaurant in Italy. The one of Havannah and the guy she was with that day - the guy who wasn't Khan.

And now that's all anyone can talk about. Not the presidential candidates. Not about the Lockworths, or their scholarship, or their real estate. But about whether or not Havannah cheated on her now fiance.

The rest of the world is unsure - but I know. I know she and Khan were together when I took that photo.

And Khan knows it, too.

Just a few days after my photo is released, a video magically surfaces. A video of Havannah. In a hotel room. Doing a line of something off a coffee table.

Khan's handiwork, I'm sure.

Havannah's reputation disintegrates before my very eyes. People rip her apart, the same way they did me.

It doesn't take long for the guilt to set in.

It should feel good. Revenge is supposed to be sweet. But all I feel is sadness - sadness and guilt and regret.

Such deep regret.

When the news is released that Marcel Lumiere has dropped Havannah as the face of his new campaign I stop following the updates.

The guilt is so deep. I shouldn't have done it. 

I  shouldn't have done it.