Chapter 27 - Utterly Alone

When I walked in, I was surprised to see Alister standing in the foyer, his eyes cold and calculating. He looked me up and down. The only thing I could think of was how he'd gotten here before me. If he was going to leave right after our meeting, I could have caught a ride with him. Maybe avoided the breakup.

Astin.

Star-like.

Gone.

"What happened?" Alister asked, his voice low and menacing. "Do you not remember what I asked of you? You're supposed to look perfect when you come here."

I felt a wave of anger and humiliation wash over me. "Don't you ever talk to me like that," I spat, my voice shaking in betrayal. "I am not one of your trophies, Alister. I am a human being."

Alister laughed, a cruel, mocking sound. "Oh, Astin told you, didn't he?" he sneered. "He was just trying to spare your feelings. But I'll be sure to tell him he should have watched his mouth."

I felt my blood boil as I looked at him. "What did you tell him, Alister? I told you not to mess with Astin!"

Alister's smirk grew wider. "I just merely pointed out the truth," he said, his voice dripping with venom. "I told him that you were nothing but a pathetic excuse for a woman and you're married to a man you can never leave. And he believed me."

Alister.

Men's defender?

Woman killer.

I felt like I had been punched in the gut. Astin had never mentioned anything about this conversation. How long ago had it occurred? How could he believe such terrible lies?

"And what do you want now?" I asked, trying to keep my composure. "Do you expect me to grovel at your feet? Beg for your forgiveness?"

Alister chuckled darkly. "Oh, no, my dear. I don't want your pity or your love. I just want you to understand that you belong to me now. Your life, your choices, they're all mine. And if you cross me, I will make sure you regret it for the rest of your pathetic existence."

With that, he turned on his heel and walked away, leaving me standing there alone, trembling with rage and fear. I had never felt so powerless, so trapped. But I knew one thing for sure–I wouldn't let Alister break me without a fight.

I ran after him, grabbing his arm. He froze, turning just a bit to glare at me.

"What do you want from me?" I asked. "I've tried to be this perfect woman for you, but you always find something wrong. I wanted things to work with Astin, but you won't let me. What do you want me to do?"

Alister smiled coldly. "I want you to understand your place," he said. "You are mine, and I will not tolerate any disobedience. You will do as I say, when I say it. You will be my trophy, my possession, and you will never disappoint me again."

I pulled my hand back, feeling a chill run down my spine. "You're insane," I whispered. "I'm not your possession. I'm a person. I have feelings, thoughts, desires. And I won't be treated like this."

"Oh, but you will," he replied, his voice dangerously soft. "Because if you don't, I will make sure that you regret it. And I'm not just talking about me being unhappy with you. I'm talking about things that will haunt you for the rest of your life."

He didn't walk away immediately. I took that as an opportunity to tell him how I really felt about everything. Including how much I hated him and wished for his death. Now that I'd lost Astin, I was really going to make him hurt before he tried to hurt me.

"I love Astin," I murmured. "I've never said that to anyone in my life. Not even to my parents and brothers. He understands me as a woman. It's not all about sex with him. Why can't you just like me have this?"