Chapter 45 - Is This Really You?

The ride to the beach was surprisingly quick. I hadn't known it was so close to the city. Or rather close to Alister's place. Today was a nice day, so we rode with the windows down. Alister hadn't said a word when he saw me, but I could tell he was thinking pretty hard. I placed the new flower in the vase. The bouquet was getting larger. I was loving it.

When we got there, we parked the car and walked to the shore. The wind was brisk, but not cold. The sun was shining, but not too bright. Perfect beach weather. We walked along the shore, hand in hand. Alister seemed relaxed and at ease, unlike how he was around the house. I couldn't help but wonder if this was the real Alister.

We sat down on a large rock near the water's edge. I took off my shoes and dipped my toes in the water. It was cold, but refreshing. Alister took off his shoes, too. We sat there in silence, just watching the waves roll in and out. It was peaceful and serene. I couldn't believe this was the same man who was always so grumpy and angry.

After a while, Alister spoke up. "You know, I haven't been to the beach in years. Not since before your parents told me about you." He laughed softly. "Is that sad or what?"

I turned to look at him, surprised. "Not really. There's lots of things I haven't done that the majority of people have."

He looked out at the ocean, his expression softening. "It's been...nice, spending time with you like this. Surprisingly."

"You're too cute." I hit his arm. "I like you when you're like this. Normal Alister Andrews. Not rich, snobby CEO Alister Andrews."

He chuckled, a deep rumble that made me feel warm inside. "Normal? I'm not sure if I like that word."

"Why not? You are normal. You just happen to be insanely wealthy. And rude. And sexy. And great in bed."

"True." He looked away, lost in thought. "It's been a long time since I've felt this way...At ease, I mean."

I reached over, taking his hand in mine. His skin was warm and soft against mine. "You should try it more often. It suits you."

He smiled, a genuine one that lit up his face. "I think I will. Thank you for being here with me, Calista."

We sat in silence for a few more minutes, watching the waves crash against the shore. The wind picked up, sending a chill through my body. Alister pulled me closer to him, his arm warm around my shoulders.

"Are you cold?" he asked, his voice low and gentle.

"A little," I admitted, snuggling into his side. "It's not too bad though."

Alister nodded, his arm tightening around me. "Well, if you get colder, let me know."

We sat there in companionable silence for a while longer, the sound of the waves crashing against the shore filling the air. It was almost hypnotic, the rhythm of it all. I closed my eyes, enjoying the warmth of the sun on my face and the feeling of being safe and protected in Alister's arms.

"Calista?" he asked softly, his voice breaking into my thoughts.

"Hmm?" I responded, opening my eyes again.

He looked at me intently, his expression serious. "I want you to know that...I'm sorry. For how I've been treating you. For being such an ass. I'm trying to be better. To be the man you deserve."

I could feel the sincerity in his words, and it took me by surprise. I didn't know what to say, so I simply nodded. "I appreciate that, Alister. It means a lot to me."

He smiled then, a small, genuine smile. "Good. Because I want you to know...I want this. I want us to be happy. Together."

I returned his smile, feeling a warmth spread through my chest. "I want that, too," I said softly. "More than anything."