Chapter 39 - Sick Of It All

Work and home. Home and work. I was getting tired of never having anything to do. Alister wanted me home to keep an eye on me. My parents wanted me at work to keep an eye on me. I could bet that Keegan was their middle man. He was someone I trusted, but also always the only one in Alister's house whenever I'm alone. Almost as if his job was to make sure I don't do anything to ruin Alister's stupid reputation.

I walked into the mansion, nearly missing the small bouquet of purple asters. I accidentally kicked it, causing it to jump over the threshold across the sleek floor. I closed the door behind me and went to pick it up. I wasn't expecting flowers today, considering I'd received one earlier this morning. I put it with the rest of the flowers and went into the dining room. It was best I had a snack alone before someone interrupted me.

I took a seat at the table and poured myself a glass of water from the crystal pitcher. As I lifted the glass to my lips, the kitchen door swung open, and Keegan walked in. I put the glass down slowly, feeling the cool water droplets running down my fingers.

"Hey, Keegan," I said, trying to keep my voice neutral. "What's up?"

"Alister wanted me to check on you," he replied, his eyes darting around the room. "Make sure you're okay."

I rolled my eyes. "Damnit, Keegan. Really. I'm getting a little tired of the constant supervision."

Keegan sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "Look, I get that. But we're just trying to help you, okay? Alister's been really worried about you."

"What the fuck do you think happened to me in Lucián's office?" I snapped. "He didn't touch me. I only got reminded of what your cousins did to me. That was it."

Keegan flinched at my outburst. "Look, I know it's tough. But I've been worried sick about you. Alister thinks Lucián might have done something to you."

"Well, he didn't. Alister knows that." I stood up from the table, pushing my chair away. "I don't need a babysitter, Keegan. I just need some fucking space."

"I know," he said, sighing again. "I'm sorry. I just...you know how Alister is. He cares about you a lot."

"Maybe try another lie," I suggested. "Alister hates me. Just because he fixed the issue with your cousins and sent you to watch me in his place, it doesn't mean he cares."

Keegan sighed, running his fingers through his hair again. "I know that's what you think. But it's not true. Alister is just...he's complicated. He cares about you more than he shows."

I crossed my arms, unconvinced. "Yeah, well, maybe he should show it differently then. Because all I see is him using me for his own gain."

Keegan looked at me, his eyes filled with sadness. "I wish things were different, too. But they're not. All we can do is try to make the best of the situation."

"Fine," I said, turning away from him. "Whatever. I'll be in my room."

As I walked away, I heard Keegan call after me, "Hey, wait! At least let me come with you."

I stopped and turned around, raising an eyebrow. "Why? So you can keep an eye on me while I'm locked in my room?"

Keegan flinched again at my words. "No, of course not. I just...I don't want you to be alone."

"I'll be fine," I said, already starting to walk away. "I'm used to it."

Keegan sighed, his shoulders slumping in defeat. "Okay. If you're sure. But if you change your mind...just come get me, okay?"

I nodded, not bothering to look at him as I walked away. Truth be told, I wasn't sure if I wanted him there or not. The thought of being alone was almost unbearable, but the thought of having Keegan there, watching my every move, was almost worse. I reached my room and closed the door behind me, leaning against it for a moment as I tried to steady my breath.