Chapter 82 - Busted

The drive to my brothers' apartment was a little longer than I thought. Traffic was a little heavy for the early morning. Alister didn't seem to mind as he sat next to me, humming a soft tune under his breath. I glanced at him a few times, taking in his appearance. He was wearing a dark blue button-down shirt and slacks, which made him look rather dapper. His hair was pulled back into a sleek ponytail, revealing his well-groomed neck. Despite the early hour, he looked fresh and awake, his features untouched by any signs of fatigue.

I wondered if he ever felt out of place in his tailored clothes, surrounded by the chaos of the city. Maybe he enjoyed the contrast, or perhaps it was just another part of his unique charm. I found myself wishing that I could see more of him in a less formal setting, like when he was just being himself, uninhibited and unguarded. Even at home, he dresses as if anyone could walk in at any time.

As I pulled up to my brothers' apartment complex, I glanced at the clock on the dashboard. It was only half past nine. I realized that I must have zoned out while I was driving, lost in my thoughts about Alister. I parked the car and turned to face him. "We're here," I said, trying to sound more alert. He nodded, his eyes fixed on something outside the window.

"Are you okay?" I studied his profile as he remained silent, staring out the window. His jaw was clenched, and there was a tension in his shoulders that hadn't been there earlier. Something told me that something was bothering him. I reached out and placed a hand on his arm, feeling the warmth of his skin beneath my fingers. "Hey, you can talk to me if you need to."

He turned to face me, his expression unreadable. "It's nothing." His voice was soft, almost distant. "I'm fine."

I couldn't shake the feeling that he was lying, but I let it go for now. "Alright," I said, not wanting to push him. "Let's go inside then."

The complex, just like every other luxury building around the city, loomed over us with its glass and steel exterior. The doorman, a tall, well-dressed man with a polished demeanor, nodded in my direction as we approached. "Good morning," he said, his voice smooth as silk. "Whom are you visiting this fine morning?"

"Kenzo York," I said.

The doorman's eyes widened momentarily, and he quickly recovered his composure, nodding politely. "Of course. Seventeenth floor."

I led Alister through the massive lobby, marveling at its opulence. The floor was made of polished porcelain, accented by tasteful sculptures and floral arrangements. The air was perfumed with the scent of expensive flowers and expensive cologne. It was a far cry from the cozy, apartment I lived in before. I wondered what Alister thought of it all.

As we rode the elevator up to the seventeenth floor, I couldn't help but notice the way he kept glancing around, taking in his surroundings with a mixture of curiosity and wariness. It made me wonder if he'd ever lived in a place like this before. When the doors slid open, we stepped out into a long, luxurious hallway. My brothers' apartment was at the end, marked by a gleaming brass plaque with our last name etched into it.

I knocked on the door, waiting for my brothers to answer. A moment later, it swung open to reveal Asa and Enzo, looking just as handsome and well-dressed as ever. "Hey, guys," I said, stepping aside to let Alister in. "Is it okay that I brought my husband along?"

My brothers exchanged a knowing glance before greeting Alister with warm smiles. "Of course it's fine," Asa said, motioning for us to come inside. "The more the merrier." They led us into the living room, which was tastefully decorated with modern furniture and a huge flat-screen TV.

Alister seemed to relax a bit as he took in the familiar surroundings. "Alister Andrews," he said. "It's a shame we didn't have the pleasure of meeting at the wedding."