Chapter 121 - Suspect

My heart raced as I unlocked the front door, my breath coming in short gasps. I had been gone for hours, and the stillness of the house was almost deafening. Alister stood in the living room, his back turned to me, his shoulders hunched as if he were carrying the weight of the world. He seemed to finally sense my presence, turning slowly, his eyes piercing mine like two daggers.

"How did it go?" he asked. "I assume...they didn't tear you to pieces."

I shook my head, taking a deep breath. "They were actually quite understanding. His parents...were happy he had me. I don't know what the police told them, but they believe his death was an accident."

Alister's expression softened slightly, and he took a step forward, reaching out to take my hand. "I'm glad it went well."

I looked down at our entwined fingers, feeling the warmth of his touch. "They were happy to meet me. Even though we hadn't been married, they were happy to finally meet me."

"And what about the baby? I know they asked."

I nodded. "I asked them to be his godparents. I know they have no connection to us in any way, but...I feel better knowing I still have some connection to Astin. They..."

"They agreed?" Alister's voice was soft.

"Yes. They said they would be honored." I paused, searching for the right words to express how I was feeling. "They're good people, Alister. They're kind and loving. Understanding. Why'd this have to happen to them? To Astin?"

He squeezed my hand gently. "I don't know, Calista. I wish I could answer that question." His eyes drifted to the floor, a pained expression crossing his face. "I wish I could take it all back."

"You can't. It's done. We have to focus on what's ahead." I forced a small smile, trying to convince us both. "We have a baby to raise, and a life to build together."

"Yes. We do. So, what do we do now?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, now that we've agreed on the godparents, I mean...what's next?" His gaze was steady, unwavering. "I want to be there for Oisin, Calista. I want to be a part of his life, but I need to know where I stand. What are our plans?"

I only stared at him in shock. I hadn't told him the baby's name, so how had he known? I hadn't posted a thing about it either, so there was no way any of his family knew. And yet, he knew.

"I...I don't know what to say," I managed to choke out. "I hadn't...I haven't told you the baby's name. How do you know?"

He smiled, and it was the most beautiful, genuine expression I had ever seen him make. "I guess...I just knew. Husband's intuition?"

My heart skipped a beat as he spoke those words, my breath catching in my throat. There was no way he could have known. It was too much of a coincidence. But then, maybe it wasn't. Maybe it was some sort of instinctual knowledge that he had always had, deep down inside. Or perhaps it was something more...otherworldly. I couldn't help but feel a shiver run down my spine at the thought.

"I...I don't know how to explain it," I stammered, my voice barely audible. "But...I know you're right. We do need to talk about our plans. For our future. For Oisin." I took a deep breath, trying to steady my nerves. "I want you to be part of his life, Alister. I want us to be a family. But...I need you to promise me something."

He raised an eyebrow, curiosity etched on his face. "What is it?"

"Promise me that you'll always be honest with me. No more secrets, no more lies. Just...us.."

There was a long pause, and I held my breath, waiting for his response. He looked into my eyes, his expression serious, and I knew that he understood the gravity of my request. "I promise," he finally said, his voice firm. "I'll always be honest with you, Calista. No more secrets. Just us."