Chapter 80 - The Brothers Three

When I finally pulled into the driveway, I took a deep breath and steeled myself for what was to come. I grabbed the files from the car and made my way to the front door. I hadn't realized I would need a key, so I stood at the front door for a while, debating on whether or not I should ask one of my parents where they kid the spare key.

As I stood there, debating, I heard the faintest of clicks coming from the door. I froze, heart pounding in my chest. The click was quickly followed by another as the deadbolt slid open. The door swung open, revealing Kenzo standing on the other side. He smiled at me, a look of amusement in his eyes.

"You look like you're having trouble, Calista. Here, let me help you with that," he said, stepping aside to allow me entry. I hesitated for a moment, unsure of whether or not I could trust him. But he was family, and I knew that he couldn't be any worse than Alister.

"Thanks, Kenzo," I said, handing him the files. "What are you doing here? I was expecting you to be gone already."

He shrugged. "I have other things to take care of here. So, what's in these files?"

I glanced at him sideways, debating whether or not to trust him with the information. I hadn't seen him in ten years. Who's to say he actually loves our parents? He could easily be fooling me like I've been fooling everyone around me. If I tell him anything, he might use that against our parents. I can't let that happen.

"...Nothing," I said, taking the files from him. "Have you seen your father?"

"Isn't he your father, too?" he asked.

"He disowned me, remember? I'm not his daughter anymore, Kenzo."

"I'm sorry, Calista. I just can't believe that he would do that. He must have had a good reason."

"Yeah, because I'm a disappointment. Ever since I was dragged back here, he's been expressing how much he hates me. That includes making me work for him. If I had any rights here, I would have left as soon as I could."

"I know he can be harsh sometimes, but he's still your father. You can't just give up on him like that."

"I didn't give up on him, Kenzo. He gave up on me. He didn't even bother to ask me what happened. He just assumed I'd done something wrong. Well, guess what? I didn't. I didn't do anything. I didn't deserve this."

I felt tears welling up in my eyes, but I refused to let them fall. Not in front of him. Not now. I couldn't bear to see the disappointment in his eyes. It was bad enough that I had to see it every day in my father's eyes.

"Look, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that. You should talk to him. Maybe he'll understand."

I forced a smile, even though it hurt. "Maybe you're right. I'll think about it. No!" I realized too late that my tone had come out sharper than intended. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to snap at you. It's just...this whole situation is really getting to me. It's like I'm stuck here, and I can't do anything about it."

Kenzo looked at me with concern in his eyes. "Hey, if you ever want to talk about it, I'm here. You know that, right?"

"Yeah...sure." I excused myself, walking down the hall towards Dad's study. I was half-expecting our family photos to be missing from the wall, but I was surprised to see just the opposite. I was even more surprised to find he had my wedding photo on his desk. For a moment, I realized even my fake smile looked so real to everyone else.

Had I truly been happy and didn't know it? Was I already in love with Alister, but needed a little push?

I shook my head and left his office. No, I wasn't in love with Alister. As long as I keep telling myself that, the more I can keep thinking about being with Astin. Soon enough, all of this will be over. It won't be long before Alister gets what he wants and does away with me.