Chapter 10 Oops!

Everyone made their way to Slurpy's house.

Every single contestant made their way inside and locked the doors, and shut the curtains to all the windows. It was like a lockdown at a school.

Except this was worse as now no one could escape anytime soon, and no one could help save them.

They were now all on their own.

Rook shivered and sneezed. He blew his nose into his handkerchief. Shelly and Shieldy were very disappointed in themselves.

But, no one was more disappointed in them than Slurpy.

"I can't believe you two. Both of you! Now, because of you two. We are ALL in trouble! Don't you two know that Rook is in danger and we are going to be arrested. You two for kidnapping Rook and all of us for being accomplices?!"

Slurpy stopped to take a breath. She was fuming but tried to keep her cool.

"I am so disappointed in the both of you.", she said at last in a low voice.

Then, Pizza came up and approached the two. He was mad but tried to keep his cool.

He needed some answers.

"You two freed Rook because he deserved to be freed and to live his life. A life that was tragically taken away from him. And you two brought it back to him to give him a second chance. But, another reason was for you give you guys answers as to why he entered Brawl of the Objects in the first place. But, wasn't it already mentioned why he did?", he asked.

Rook sighed. He knew it was time for everyone to know the truth.

"Well..., I guess, I shall come forth to bring you the truth.", he began. Everyone looked intently at Rook. They knew it was time to receive the answer they needed.

The answer that would change everything.

Rook took a deep breath. He knew that telling this story was going to be difficult.

Especially since he lost everything...

...it was gone.

"Well, this all began not long before I became a servant to the king and queen..."

**************************

*Flashback*

A young Rook walked down the hallway of the castle. He was happy. He was carefree. Above all else. All he wanted to see the knights as they rode off into the sunset to defend their kingdom and serve the royal family.

He was truly intrigued.

*Rook-voiceover* "I was a young chess piece. Nothing more than a young lad who had a true desire to become a knight; a knight who served the royal family, who protected the kingdom from evil."

"It was all I ever desired."

The young Rook made his way towards a knighting ceremony. He watched with glee as the knight took a kneel and was knighted with a sword. He smiled warmly.

If only one day he would have his chance. Rather than be a servant. Being a servant was important but not as important as being a protector and fighting for honor while facing down evil at its worst.

*Rook- voiceover* "I only desired to fight for honor and protect the innocent. To serve the royal family. But, to also serve the people of the kingdom. But, alas, my desires were of selfish intentions. For my heart wanted more than being a servant and to be knight, while fighting for honor, also would have me be loved and adored by the people."

A young Rook looked around as he watched knights receive fame and glory and be given offerings. Where as Rook was treated as someone who was invisible and not important. He sighed as he continued to work by sweeping with a broom.

*Rook- voiceover* "I truly wanted to do what was right. To fight for honor and protect and serve the kingdom. But, alas, my darkness in my heart seeking fame and glory took over. Thus, my desires for honor were all for naut."

A young Rook looked over to one of the knights. He wanted to spar with him for fun. He approached the knight for permission to fence and spar with swords. The knight nodded. And there sparring match began.

Rook was swiftly defeated as he knocked off his feet in front of a crowd of onlookers.

They all laughed and jeered in his face.

Rook was embarrassed and ashamed.

*Rook- voiceover* "All I desired was for me to be free from my duties as a servant. To fulfill my wish. But, before I could prove my worth, I was mocked with jeers as the people doubted. For I was a lowly peasant of little worth."

The young Rook found a royal scroll advertising the one and only game... that changed everything.

*Rook- voiceover* "Then, I had discovered, Brawl of the Objects."

A thunderclap roared over the kingdom as lightning lit up the sky and thus the scroll.

Rook smiled as he watched the scroll with intent. To be free from his duties and forge his own path among the great knights. To serve the kingdom. To recieve the recognition his selfish heart desired for in his darkness that he allowed within.

*Rook-voiceover* "I had only one chance to change my fate. Thus, Brawl of the Objects commenced. My fate was sealed..."

Rook watched as his opponent gained an unfair advantage. He made his way to the frozen lake.

*Rook-voiceover* "... I believed I was doing a righteous choice, but I had discovered my grave error too late, blinded by my pride and greed..."

The poor young Rook drowned as he could not break through the surface of the ice. Freezing into an ice block at the bottom of the lake.

*Rook-voiceover* "... I was lost and my I had paid with my pride and greed...

...

...and my life."

Rook remained at the bottom of the lake.

Frozen...

...with no chance of escaping.

*Rook-voiceover* "I was given my punishment through the work of the void, leaving me a shell of my former self with no hope. The darkness of my heart to seek a path of fame and glory led me to be blinded by my pride. And I paid for it with my life."

In the void, Rook walked around aimlessly in his castle. Tears blinding his eyes as he wished for a second chance.

*Rook-voiceover* "Until Shelly and Shieldy had freed me."

*End Flashback*

*************************

*Present Day*

"I finally had been granted my wish of a second chance. To free my heart of my darkness. And to give me a second chance of the life I had lost. It wasn't easy to learn of the new and mysterious ways of this new life I was blessed with. But, I am grateful for all you objects to guide me through this entire journey."

"..."

"So, thank you to all."

Rook had finished his story.

All of the objects in the house were all in awe of Rook's story. They all had listened with intent and interest. But, above all else, they had all finally been given the answer of why Rook chose the fate that he with the game.

And how much it had cost him.