-Chapter 2-

Yuvaan could not sleep

Yuvaan could not sleep. Every time he closed his eyes, he saw her pleading face. She had sounded so desperate that he wished he had heard her out. When he couldn't sleep at even 4 in the morning, he reached for his phone. He knew it was too early to make the call, but he did not hesitate. He dialed her number and waited for the call to connect. Her smiling face filled the dial screen, and he smiled automatically. She always had that effect on him.

Diya Gujral, the girl who he loved as much as he loved his own mother. The whole world thought that she was his girlfriend. For a brief time, even his mother thought that, but they had always been clear about their relationship.

They were best friends. Friends who shared every tiny detail of their lives. She knew his every dark secret, as he was aware of hers. They were like the two halves of the same soul, completing and complementing each other. She was the calm to his storm, the one who helped him stay grounded. She encouraged him to do the right thing, just as she did not hesitate to whack him when he went overboard, which he did quite often. Without Diya Gujral, he was a lost man.

"Hey, laddu, time to dekh leya kaar (Hey, laddu)!" Her sleepy voice filled the room. He had put the phone on the loudspeaker. Yuvaan rolled his eyes. She had been calling him that since they met in fourth grade. Diya's mother was the social worker who financed Saakhshi's education. She had visited them often when his mother was giving her medical exams. It was under the good lady's guidance that his mother was able to clear her medical entrance. They owed the Gujral's a lot.

"Abey kuch bol na, maut varta chal raha hai kya tera (Say something, dumbo, why are you so silent)?" Her voice changed to annoyance. The girl had very little patience, Yuvaan mused as he reached for his phone and turned off the loudspeaker. He felt much better after hearing her voice; he just wanted to talk.

"Laddu..."

"There is a problem, Diya," Yuvaan sighed.

"I know, Einstein. Mudde pe aa (Come to the point)," she noisily stifled a yawn.

"Tujhe kaise pata? (How do you know?)" Yuvaan sat down cross-legged and grabbed a pillow, hugging it to his chest.

"Aisa kabhi hua hai ki The Yuvaan Rajpoot ke zindagi mein koi siyaapa na hua ho? Aur agar kuch bada siyaapa na hua to mujhe is time pe call kyun kar raha hota? Propose karne ke liye? (Trouble is your middle name, Yuvaan. And why would you call me at this weird hour? I don't think you have gathered the courage to propose. Have you, buddy?)"

"Diya."

"Haan, Diya hi bol rahe hoon. Bata ab kya problem hai. Phir se koi ladki haath dhoke padi hai tere peeche? Sun mere baat, Laddu, jab tak tu shaadi nahi karega, yeh siyaapa kabhi khatam nahi hoga. Aunty ki baat sun, te ek changi kudi naal viaah kar lai. (Chill, dude, tell me your problem. Wait, let me take a wild guess. A girl is troubling you again. Dude, I am telling you, this problem will persist until you get married. Listen to Aunty and marry a sweet girl. That should solve all your problems.)"