CH 1. Draft

1. Draft

  Daqi Dynasty, second year of Yongxu

  More than a hundred days have passed since the passing of the late Emperor. The new Emperor has ascended the throne, and the dynasty is now called "Yongxu." According to tradition, the Crown Prince's Consort has been honored as the Empress, residing in the Zhaoming Palace. The three Side Consorts, from prestigious families, have been respectively titled Noble Consort, Virtuous Consort, and Moral Consort. They hold prominent positions within the palace. Other concubines and favored maid servants were conferred the titles such as Zhaohuan, Zhu Jieji, and Meiren, among others. In the hierarchy of the imperial harem, they were considered to be in the middle high positions.
(Beautiful Lady)

It has been a year since Emperor Yongxu ascended the throne, and state affairs and court politics were gradually stabilizing. The Empress, virtuous and wise, personally proposed to the Dowager Empress that a draft should be held to choose unmarried young women of outstanding talents and appearance, virtuous conduct, and beauty to enter the palace to enrich the inner palace, and spread branches and leaves for the imperial family. This suggestion garnered praise from the former Empress of the harem, commending the Empress's wisdom, virtue, and magnanimity. Her dignified and graceful demeanor is truly befitting of a nation's Empress.
(Children)

Consequently, young women of official and noble families of suitable age were all eagerly awaiting, hoping for the opportunity to be selected and enter the palace, and bring honor to their family.

  Shen Moyun wore an aqua-blue palace dress adorned with embroidered butterflies, her attire neat and elegant. Upon hearing the eunuch call her name, she adjusted her appearance and followed the other selected palace women into the warm room, waiting for the Emperor to personally inspect them.

The group of palace women performed their salutations, knelt down to pay respect and then stood up in a row, with hands poised as they waited silently for the tall figure seated on the throne to determine their fates.

"Your Majesty, that younger sister in the blue attire on the left, I quite fancy her. I wonder whose daughter she is?" After a while, the solemn room was filled with the empress's voice-pleasant and majestic.

"Oh?" The Emperor quickly scanned the scene, his gaze settling on a trace of aqua-blue beautiful picture. "Whose daughter are you?".

Shen Moyun secretly took a deep breath, steadying her mind. Success or failure depended on this moment. She took two steps forward and lightly curtsied with a graceful posture: "Replying to Your Majesty and the Empress, this subject's daughter is Shen Moyun, the daughter of Assistant Minister of Palace Secretariat, Shen Shiyu."

  The Emperor responded with a "hmm", saying, "It turned out to be the daughter of Assistant Minister Shen." There was a subtle implication in his words that made Shen Moyun's heart tremble slightly. However, she maintained her composure, her expression as calm as water. She only heard the Emperor say, "Raise your head."

Shen Moyun lifted her head slightly, her long eyelashes quivering. She dared not meet the Emperor's eyes directly, keeping her gaze slightly lowered. As her line of sight brushed against the Emperor's face, a faint blush colored her cheeks. Her eyes held a hint of watery charm, a delicate allure hidden within her gentle and beautiful appearance.

Her physical appearance was indeed impressive, and having lived in the scholarly environment of literature and culture for several years, her temperament was impeccable. She was already one of the definite candidates to enter the palace. Her goal was to make a favorable impression on the Emperor, hoping to secure a higher rank when entering the palace. This would be a key factor determining her comfort and status in the future.