Chapter 9: Warning

His Majesty has flipped the name card of ChangLe Palace for five consecutive days, and various rewards were also continuously flowing into ChangLe Palace. For a while, everyone in the harem was paying attention to the new Consort Shu. Regardless of what they were thinking in their hearts, during these days when Shen Moyun goes to pay respects in ZhaoMing Palace, all she would see were smiling faces like flowers. She was in the limelight, and her position was high. Except for the occasional sour words from Noble Consort Liu, there was no one else deliberately making things difficult for her.

Empress Xiao heard that His Majesty once again rewarded ChangLe Palace with a yellow rosewood screen decorated with blue and white porcelain landscapes. Under her wide robe, her left hand could not help but lightly stroked a string of jade beads and said, "I didn't expect Consort Shu to have such skills. I must have been somewhat mistaken back then. To think that His Majesty would bestow that yellow rosewood landscape screen upon her." She remembered last year when Virtuous Consort Gao requested the same screen on the occasion of her birthday, His Majesty had skillfully deferred it.

Yu Tao fetched a fresh cup of tea for Empress Xiao and stood silently by, not daring to speak.

Empress Xiao ceased her movements of playing with the jade beads and instructed Yu Tao, "Retrieve the intertwined silk and colorful patterned sweet dew vase and send it to ChangLe Palace."

Yu Tao hesitated for a moment, not expecting that the Empress would also give rewards to Consort Shu. However, in the next moment, she quickly responded, "Yes, this servant will obey your command." She bowed and then turned to go to the warehouse to search for the sweet dew vase mentioned earlier.

Sun Momo was Empress Xiao's wet nurse and has served her since childhood. Their bond was stronger than that of regular attendants, so she couldn't help but ask, "Your Majesty, why are you doing this?"

  Empress Xiao smiled lightly and said, "Momo wants to ask why bengong still decided to reward the sweet dew vase to Consort Shu?"

Momo Sun asked, "Consort Shu has been in the palace for less than half a month, and she has already gained such favor from His Majesty. He has rewarded her with a folding screen and a jade ruyi. I also heard that a few days ago, the Emperor gifted a pair of jade bracelets from the Nanshao country. Please forgive me for being nosy, but as the Empress, logically, these tributes should be sent to the ZhaoMing Palace first for you to choose from. But this time, they were given to the Consort Shu ahead of time..."

"It's just a pair of jade bracelets. His Majesty can give them to anyone he pleases. How could bengong bear a grudge against His Majesty over such a trivial matter," Empress Xiao replied indifferently. She wasn't concerned about the tribute from Nanshao country being delivered to the ChangLe Palace before her. Just a few days ago, didn't Jiang Cairen also receive a pair of jade bracelets? These were simply tokens rewarded by the Emperor when he was amused. There was no need to cause Shen Moyun trouble over such a small matter. It would only make the Emperor feel that she was not magnanimous enough and unable to accommodate others.

Hearing this, Sun Momo could only say, "Your Majesty is magnanimous. This servant's words were wrong."

Empress Xiao raised the corner of her mouth, exuding an indescribable coldness. "Back when Liu Shi first entered the Eastern Palace, His Majesty showered her with affection. For several months, most of the days were spent in her chambers. Not to mention those rare treasures that were sent to her. Bengong even accommodated someone as beloved as Noble Consort Liu, let alone a small Consort Shu."

The current Consort Shu wasn't even as favored as Noble Consort Liu during her prime, but over the past few years, the Emperor's affection for Noble Consort Liu had gradually faded. With the arrival of the new concubines in the palace, his attention had been divided. If she was to fuss over every small thing, she might vomit to death soon. It was not this Empress's turn to suffer.