Chapter 11: Admiring the Lotuses (Part 2)

The blue sky was cloudless, and the scorching sunlight filtered through the lush canopy of branches, casting a warm glow on the ground. Cicadas chirped incessantly on the branches, creating a joyful symphony accompanied by the rustling sounds of leaves, weaving a summer melody.

However, the individuals in the pavilion weren't in the mood to appreciate it.

The Emperor remained standing, not taking a seat, and turned his gaze toward Shen Moyun, clearly indicating that he wanted her to respond.

"It's not a significant matter, just that the attendants of younger sister Jiang Cairen were not meticulous. Despite knowing that younger sister's health is not good, they failed to persuade her and allowed her to wander aimlessly in the Imperial Garden. So I want her to go to Zhaoming Palace to seek forgiveness from Her Majesty later." Shen Moyun calmly explained, her tone mild and words impartial.

"It's a trivial matter. No need to trouble the Empress. Send them back to the Bureau of Palace Attendants, and let them pick two good ones," Yuwen Xi said indifferently, then turned his attention to Jiang Cairen. Upon closer inspection, he expressed some surprise, "Zhen see that Jiang Cairen seems to have lost quite a bit of weight."

Jiang Cairen, initially intending to plead for leniency for her personal palace maid, but upon being asked by the emperor, her originally despondent eyes suddenly brightened and her face couldn't help but be delighted. Lowering her head, she replied, "Thank you for your concern, Your Majesty. A few days ago, the imperial physician came to check my pulse and said that my liver and stomach are imbalanced and my body is bloating, suggesting a restrained diet and rest for recovery, which led to my losing weight."

The Emperor nodded slightly, "As long as it's not a serious illness."

  As for the palace maid Miaoer, her face had already turned deathly pale and she collapsed on the ground. Once sent back to the Bureau of Palace Attendants, her fate was evident – she might end up enduring her days in places like the Laundry Bureau. Initially she had hoped that Jiang Cairen would help plead mercy for her, even if it meant getting slapped and beaten, but she didn't expect her master to be solely engrossed in conversation with the Emperor, completely forgetting her existence. Seeing as Miaoer's condition was not right, Hong Xi winked at Jiang Xi, and together they swiftly dragged her out of the pavilion, preventing her from suddenly losing control, thus disturbing the Emperor and his concubines during their conversation.

At this point, Qin Liangren interjected, "From the looks of it, Eldest Sister Consort Shu rightly reprimanded the palace maid for failing to attend to her master properly. Your Majesty, please look, Elder Sister Jiang's complexion is getting worse, she must have caught a chill in the breeze just now."

Qin Liangren hadn't forgotten how, when His Majesty summoned her to serve in the Sweet Dew Hall, she was halfway there when an eunuch intercepted her, stating that the Emperor had already chosen Jiang Cairen's card, leaving her infuriated enough to tear a handkerchief on the spot and let people gossip for several days. Shen Moyun was the Consort Shu with a noble background. She could not afford to offend her, but Jiang Cairen... Qin Liangren narrowed her eyes. Wasn't she a fifth-ranked concubine just like her? Did she think Qin Liangren would endure this humiliation?

This was really lying through one's teeth. How can anyone catch a chill in this scorching June weather? Shen Moyun thought to herself. This Jiang Cairen seemed to have offended quite a number of people. In some ways, it wasn't an easy situation for her.

The Emperor advised, "Since you're feeling unwell, go back and rest. Don't wander around aimlessly."

  Upon hearing these words, Jiang Cairen's cheeks, which had just barely shown a hint of blush, instantly turned paler than before. She stammered, "I-I just felt bored staying in my room with no one to talk to, so... so I came out for a casual stroll. Besides, the imperial physician also suggested that I should spend more time walking in the Imperial Garden..." Her voice became increasingly flustered, and the rim of her eyes turned red.