Chapter 10: Admiring the Lotuses (Part 1)

10. Admiring the Lotuses (Part 1)

  Jiang Cairen had indeed lost weight, which was very noticeable. Even Shen Moyun, who had only met her recently, could tell that Jiang Cairen had lost more than just a few pounds. With her dress flowing and her wide sleeves, coupled with her cold and aloof demeanor, she looked like a fairy about to ascend to immortality. Approaching the pavilion, she knelt before Shen Moyun and paid her respects, "This concubine greets Consort Shu Niangniang, may you be well."

Seated in the cool pavilion, surrounded by white gauze, Shen Moyun was facing a lotus pond. In the June heat, the lotus flowers bloomed in shades of pink and white, adorned with lush green leaves, creating a breathtaking sight. Upon Jiang Cairen's solute, Shen Moyun didn't allow the palace maids to support her. She simply smiled and said, "Younger sister, there's no need for such formality. Please rise." Pausing for a moment, she added, "The sun outside is scorching. If you don't mind the crowd, then come in and cool off here."

"In that case, I will thank you in advance, Elder Sister," Jiang Cairen stood up and took a few steps closer to Shen Moyun, sitting down on her left side. Hong Xi and Lu Jing quickly served tea and refreshments, attending to them well. Seeing this, Jiang Cairen sighed softly, "Elder Sister Consort Shu, you seem to have a refined taste. Are you here today to admire flowers in the Imperial Garden?"

Before entering the palace, Jiang Cairen had accompanied her father wherever he was transferred. She had been considered exceptional in both talent and beauty among her peers, and her mother's doting had nurtured her proud and noble nature. However, upon entering the palace, she realized that there were no shortages of remarkable women in the harem. In terms of beauty, Noble Consort Liu was crowned in the harem, in terms of literary talent, Virtuous Consort Gao was a well known talent, and in terms of temperament, Jiang Chongyi's gentle and elegant demeanor was most endearing. Now, even the newly entered Consort Shu Niangniang before her possessed both exquisite temperament and appearance. In comparison, the qualities she had once been proud of seemed lackluster.

  Shen Moyun seemed completely oblivious to the jealousy in Jiang Cairen's eyes. She smiled and picked up a bowl of lotus seed sweet soup, saying, "These days, I've been confined in the palace. I heard the lotus flowers in the Imperial Garden are exceptionally beautiful. So, I came out to take a look and broaden my horizons."

Jiang Cairen, with a slightly sour tone, remarked, "His Majesty's affection for eldest sister is evident. As long as eldest sister asks, I believe His Majesty would not refuse to move this lotus pond to eldest sister's palace for daily enjoyment." When she entered the palace, the Emperor showed fondness and sweetness towards her, but in just a short while, his attention shifted to others.

"Younger sister Jiang's words are wrong. His Majesty equally cherishes all the sisters in the palace, and he holds great respect for Her Majesty. How can we compare ourselves to her? Younger sister, please refrain from such words in the future. If it spreads, people might say you're frivolous," Shen Moyun said with a smile, skillfully steering the conversation away from the lotus pond topic. If she said the Emperor would build a new lotus pond for her in ChangLe Palace, it might make the Emperor think she is acting spoiled based on his favor and the Empress will think her heart is too high. If she said he wouldn't do such a thing, wouldn't it imply he's not interested in her at all, allowing a mere fifth-ranked concubine to embarrass her?

Jiang Cairen's expression stiffened, and she apologized, "I misunderstood. Please forgive me, Eldest Sister Consort Shu"

Shen Moyun chuckled, "We're sisters; there's no need for such formality." Although she spoke of forgiveness, she remained unmoved. This Jiang Cairen was still too naive.