Chapter 6: Sleeping Together

After the group of concubines left, Zhāomíng Palace returned to its usual calm. Empress Xiao looked at Yù Táo, "Where is the Crown Prince?"

"Your Majesty, His Highness is studying. Did you forget, His Majesty said he would come to Zhāomíng Palace today to test the Crown Prince's studies."

The Crown Prince was nine years old this year, a lively and active age. However, for the sake of his future, Empress Xiao had no choice but to harden her heart and strangle his childhood. While other children played freely and mischievously, the Crown Prince had to sit in his room and diligently study Confucian Classics.

Empress Xiao said, "Then prepare a hearty early meal and bring two bowls of the mountain chicken soup with ginseng that the small kitchen started simmering yesterday. The summer heat is unbearable; it will help His Majesty and the Crown Prince replenish their energy."

Another spalace maid, Qīng Guǒ, seemed a bit puzzled. "Your Majesty, wouldn't drinking chicken soup early in the morning be too greasy? Should we serve it in the evening instead?"

Empress Xiao smiled lightly, though her smile did not reach her eyes. She put down her round fan and said, "By the evening, His Majesty might not have time to visit Zhāomíng Palace."

Yù Táo cleverly asked, "Are you referring to Consort Shu, Your Majesty?"

"His Majesty specifically instructed me yesterday to have Consort Shu's name card prepared. It's clear he has taken a liking to her," Empress Xiao said, gently swaying her round fan. "To capture his attention with just one meeting, this Consort Shu truly has some skills."

  Empress Xiao smiled again and then as if speaking to herself, "It would be a good thing if she could divide the favor with the one in Yanqing Palace."

Yanqing Palace was where Noble Consort Liù resided. Qīng Guǒ lowered her head, not daring to look at the Empress's expression.

Not long after returning to ChángLè Palace, a eunuch from the Shanggong Bureau arrived with an imperial decree from the Emperor. It stated that the Emperor had turned over Consort Shu's name card and told ChángLè Palace to prepare for his arrival.

Upon hearing this news, Jian Rong and the others were delighted. Sù Yuè smiled and said, "Congratulations, Master." Jiǎn Róng, being more composed, suggested, "Lately, His Majesty is busy with state affairs, often visiting the harem only around sunset. Niangniang, you could take a short rest now and make more detailed preparations after noon."

Dù Ān added, "Jiǎn Róng Gugu is right."

"Alright!" Shěn Mòyún nodded, agreeing, then paused after a few steps. She instructed Hóng Xī, "Go and replace that lotus with a pot of jasmine."

"Yes, Master."

As Hóng Xī went to fetch the jasmine, Shěn Mòyún, assisted by the palace maids, enjoyed a comfortable breakfast. Afterward, she reclined on a couch covered with a soft bamboo mat for a short morning rest. A gentle breeze carried the scent of flowers, and in the hazy state between waking and dreaming, Shěn Mòyún felt like she had returned to her familiar world, where the voices and smiles of her family members and friends surrounded her, seemingly clear yet blurred.

This sleep was extremely restless. After being softly awakened by Su Yue, Shen Moyun realized she had only been sleeping for an hour but felt exhausted. She waved her hand to dismiss sleep and decided to prepare for the upcoming intimacy with the Emperor.

Upon receiving news, the Emperor first went to the Zhouming Palace to visit the Empress and their Crown Prince. After that, he returned to the Liangyi Hall to handle state affairs. Then he would come to ChangLe Palace in the evening. Shen Moyun wasn't sure how to feel about the situation. Seeing his primary wife and their son during the day and then sleeping with his concubine at night. The number of concubines can even form a platoon, which is really… It's not easy to be a virtuous empress ah!