CH 14: Empress Dowager

In the Xiao family, there were three Empresses, aside from the current Empress Xiao reigning in the Zhaoming Palace and the Empress Dowager Xiao residing in seclusion in the Shoukang Palace. There was also the late Emperor's first empress, posthumously honored as "Empress Zhuangjing," who was the paternal aunt of the Empress Dowager. In ordinary households, if an uncle in law married his wife's niece, he would be drowned in the saliva of the old fashioned people, but in the imperial family, such arrangements were already a norm.

Since the late Emperor's passing, the Empress Dowager Xiao has devoted her time to worshiping Buddha in the Shoukang Palace. Apart from the emperor and empress paying respects, she would not meet anyone else. Almost all the affairs of the harem have been managed by the Empress. If it weren't for the news of Xiao Jieyu's pregnancy, Shen Moyun might not have had the chance to see what the Empress Dowager looked like until the year-end family banquet.

The Empress Dowager was already over fifty years old but with proper maintenance, she appeared to be just over forty years old. At this moment, she was sitting gracefully at the high position, receiving solemn greetings from the Empress and the concubines led by her.

After everyone finished paying their respects and rose, instead of inquiring about Xiao Jieyu, the Empress Dowager cast her eyes over the concubines and asked the Empress, "Are all the new concubines who entered the palace this year present?"

The Empress replied, "All are present, Mother Empress."

The Empress Dowager nodded and inquired, "Which consort did the Emperor bestow the title of Consort Shu upon this time?"

Shen Moyun stepped forward from the group, wearing a humble smile on her face. She knelt down respectfully and performed a deep obeisance, saying, "This servant, Consort Shu Shen Shi, pays respects to the Empress Dowager."

  The Empress Dowager glanced at her with a neutral expression, neither pleased nor displeased. She nodded and said, "You seem to be courteous and knowledgeable. Since His Majesty likes you and has bestowed the title of consort, serve him well and strive to spread branches and leaves for the imperial family as soon as possible." After saying this, she allowed Shen Moyun to rise and bestowed a golden bracelet adorned with pearls on her left hand.

Shen Moyun stood up, cautiously approached, and received the bracelet personally presented by a momo. She respectfully expressed her gratitude to the Empress Dowager, "Thank you for your reward, Empress Dowager. This concubine will certainly serve His Majesty and Her Majesty well."

"Hmm." The Empress Dowager waved her hand in response to Shen Moyun's words, without any further expression.

Subsequently, the Empress Dowager also met with the newly-entered concubines one by one. Her attitude was kind, and even when facing Qin Fanghua, who had somewhat embarrassed Xiao Jieyu, she didn't make things difficult for her. This made Qin Fanghua secretly breathe a sigh of relief.

Shen Moyun lowered her eyes. The Empress Dowager's concern about Xiao Jieyu's pregnancy indicated that she was likely aware of the details of Qin Fanghua's promotion. Shen Moyun couldn't help but think that the Empress Dowager either had a solution to deal with Qin Fanghua or simply didn't consider her worthy of attention. The latter possibility seemed more plausible – a nation's dignified Empress Dowager engaging in a conflict with her son's concubine was really losing face.

  Just as they were contemplating, the Empress Dowager finally got to the main topic. She summoned Xiao Jieyu, granted her a seat, surprising everyone present. In Shoukang Palace, only the Empress, four Consorts, and nine concubines were qualified to sit. The Empress Dowager's action undoubtedly conveyed to others that she attached great importance to the child in Xiao Jieyu's womb.