CH 16: Jiang Liyi

In the scorching summer, even the flowers and plants were listless.  Apart from the attention drawn by the entry of Xiao Jieyu's *Di mother, Li Shi, into the palace, life in the harem was unusually peaceful. This was not just due to the weather; the main reason was the Emperor's absence from the palace, as he embarked on a southern tour. Only two or three concubines accompanied him, while the Empress and the four consorts stayed in the palace. Without the competition for imperial favor, the women in the harem settled down. They all smiled like flowers, showing deep sisterly bonds, and even the air was full of peace and happiness.
(Legitimate mother)

"Master, this servant has inquired. Virtuous Consort Gao was once pregnant with His Majesty's child in her early years, but unfortunately, she miscarried before four months. Coincidentally, at that time, Xiao Jieyu, Zhou Jieyu and others entered the Eastern Palace, then His Majesty rarely visited Virtuous Consort Gao," Su Yue reported these days inquiries to Shen Moyun while placing a bowl of sweet soup with silver tree ear fungus, red dates, and lotus seeds on the table.

Due to the oppressive heat, Shen Moyun wasn't in the mood for sweet soup. She just stirred the soup with a spoon and asked, "What have Virtuous Consort Gao done these days?"

Su Yue pondered for a moment before replying, "Virtuous Consort Gao has a good reputation in the harem and her interaction with other concubines is normal. However, in recent days, she has become particularly close to Ruan Meiren, even rewarding her with various items. Ruan Meiren also visited Jingfu Palace once."

Shen Moyun nodded understandingly. Although she could guess Virtuous Consort Gao's intentions, some confirmation was needed. Su Yue's information verified her thoughts. Virtuous Consort Gao, held a high status but lacked favor, and the number of times the Emperor visited Jingfu Palace throughout the year can be counted on one hand. It was not uncommon for her to seek an ally for her later years in the palace. It would be even better if the Emperor could visit her more frequently and she takes the opportunity to conceive a royal heir.

  "Ruan Meiren has been quite popular lately. I heard that Qin Fanghua is very dissatisfied with her," Su Yue added.

"In the imperial harem, who is pleasing to whom?", Shen Moyun said. "It's common to not like them. Even the empress probably finds them annoying."

Ruan Meiren was one of the newly selected palace women. Since Jiang Cairen stepped down, she has started to gain prominence. As for beauty, it's a given—emperors aren't interested in women without salt. Even if that woman is loyal and deeply in love with him, it doesn't matter. Men in the world are attracted to beauty, not to mention emperors.

The founding emperor of the current dynasty, unable to bear the harsh taxation and the oppressive policies of the previous dynasty, joined the rebel army in anger. He quickly gained the recognition of the rebel leader at that time and he betrothed his adopted daughter Ning Shi to him. The young couple's journey was full of love and righteousness. According to historical records, when the emperor was once imprisoned and not given food, Ning Shi, distressed by her husband's hunger, secretly took freshly baked buns in her bosom to him, only later realizing that her chest was burned from the hot bread. During times of war, Ning Shi lived even more frugally, even starving herself rather than letting her husband suffer. After the emperor ascended the throne, Empress Ning's virtue was widely praised, and even the emperor showed great respect to his first wife, never slacking.

From being a fallen daughter of a destitute official to becoming the empress who was a model for all the women in the world, it may seem magnificent to outsiders. But is life really that good? People say that the emperor and empress have deep affection for each other, and he had a deep sense of loyalty towards empress Ning. But even such deep affection and righteousness could not stop the emperor from having numerous flowery beauties, Noble Consorts, Virtuous Consorts, Zhouyi, Meiren and the Prince and princesses jumping up one after another.