CH 25: Counterattack (Part 1)

25. Counterattack (Part 1)

Seeing this, Hong Xi couldn't help but feel a little worried. She whispered softly, "Master, is there anything improper about Moral Consort's gifts?"

Shen Moyun shook her head slightly, regaining her focus. "Nothing to worry about," she replied. After thinking for a moment, she asked, "Do you think the Emperor will know about today's events?"

After pondering for a moment, Hong Xi said with some difficulty, "I'm not entirely sure. Perhaps master could ask Qin Yun. He might have some insider information."

"Qin Yun?"

Hong Xi smiled and explained, "Qin Yun used to serve in Jianzhang Palace for a while, but later…" She lowered her voice and said, " I don't know where he got in the way of the empress that she transferred him out of Jianzhang Palace and assigned to Yihe Palace as a guard eunuch. This Yihe Palace was the residence of the late Emperor's favored consort, Moral Consort Wei. The Empress Dowager holds a deep grudge against that place, so anyone associated with it is considered banished to a cold palace with no chance of turning to power. It's unclear whether the Shanggong Bureau picked him up unintentionally this time or..."

Shen Moyun raised her eyebrows slightly and a beautiful smile bloomed on her lips. Objectively speaking, Empress Xiao was indeed a master at managing the inner palace, adept at maintaining the delicate balance of power among the concubines. She kept a meticulous record of every rise and fall within the palace walls. Challenging her head-on would undoubtedly lead to a gruesome demise. However, that didn't mean Shen Moyun would silently accept this setback.

  Shen Moyun made up her mind and said, "Let Qin Yun come in. Tell him I have something to ask him. Also, later on, you and Jian Rong will handle the gifts sent by Moral Consort Zhang." This was to make Hong Xi stop Jian Rong from paying attention to this matter.

Understanding Shen Moyun's intentions, Hong Xi nodded and said, "Master, today Aunt Jian Rong and I have selected a few suitable palace maids. Would you like to meet them now?"

Shen Moyun declined, saying, "Not today. Too many bothersome matters to deal with. We'll meet them tomorrow."

"Understood. I'll go call Qin Yun then."

Hong Xi bowed to Shen Moyun before leaving to summon Qin Yun. Shortly after, Qin Yun entered, bowing respectfully and standing to the side.

Shen Moyun didn't hesitate and directly repeated her question to Qin Yun.

Qin Yun thought for a moment and said, "His Majesty handles numerous affairs of state everyday, and matters of the inner palace have always been overseen by Her Majesty. But after all, the Second Prince is His Majesty's own biological son."

In other words, the Emperor was well aware of what happened today, but he wouldn't intervene on Shen Moyun's behalf. After all, the Second Prince only injured her palace maid, not Shen Moyun herself. Shen Moyun sneered inwardly, dismissing the idea of appealing to the Emperor and focusing instead on turning the tables. Just this Qin Yun, can she trust him?

  Qin Yun seemed to understand Shen Moyun's thoughts and lowered his head, saying, "Although this servant served in Jianzhang Palace before, I only did some heavy work in the outer hall and never attended to His Majesty personally. My master is only Niangniang." His voice was neither heavy nor light, but stable and firm.

Shen Moyun scrutinized him for a while before nodding slowly. "Since you're willing, I won't treat you unfairly. Speak, what do you want?"

Having been in Yihe Palace for so long and suddenly promoted to her place, it was either because the Empress wanted to embarrass her on a whim or because this Qin Yun had a request. The Empress was meticulous in her calculations, but she wouldn't be bored enough to calculate such trivial matters. However, as a eunuch in charge, she wouldn't easily replace him. The Empress wouldn't risk her reputation for momentary anger. Just watching Noble Consort Liu occasionally provoke the Empress in Zhaoming Palace, and the Empress's calm demeanor, showed how strong her endurance was.