Chapter 7: Stirring up trouble

7. Stirring up trouble

  Before, he was the Crown Prince of this country. In the last two years, he ascended to the throne as the Emperor. Yuwen Xi can be considered to have tasted all kinds of rouge as a means of relaxation outside his solemn and busy state affairs. He has never felt wronged in this regard, especially given the soft body and somewhat shaky response of a certain someone's body last night, truly left him with an aftertaste.

Early in the morning, Yuwen Xi woke up refreshed to take a bath and get dressed. In contrast, Shen Moyun's tired and sleepy expression was vastly different. She even inadvertently dozed off on his shoulder while helping the Emperor change clothes.

"Yesterday, there was a pair of jade bracelets among the tribute items from the Nanshao Country. Zhen thinks the color would suit beloved consort quite well..."

Yuwen Xi noticed Shen Moyun's weariness and quickly held her in his arms. Looking at her pale face, he felt a rare touch of affection. It seemed that she was exhausted from last night. He carefully carried the sleeping beauty to the bed, even ensuring she was properly covered with the blanket. Only then did he allow Jiang Xi to assist him in changing clothes and boots.

"Today, Consort Shu doesn't need to pay respects to the Empress. Don't disturb your master," Yuwen Xi instructed Jian Rong, who was standing nearby.

Jian Rong lowered her head and bowed, saying, "Yes, Your Majesty." However, she couldn't help but feel somewhat astonished. She had observed every detail of the earlier scene, and this new master was undoubtedly not simple.

Not long after the Emperor left, Shen Moyun lazily rubbed against the soft cotton padded quilt and then softly called out, "Su Yue."

  "Master," Su Yue quickly lifted the pink muslin curtain and helped Shen Moyun up. "His Majesty mentioned that he has specially exempted you from paying respects to the Empress today."

"I know," Shen Moyun yawned and added, "Prepare the water for bathing. Don't let me miss the right timing."

Jian Rong stepped forward and said to Shen Moyun, "Niangniang, the hot water has already been prepared, and there's still an hour left before you need to pay your respects to the Empress." Her tone and manner were much more respectful than yesterday.

Shen Moyun gave her a glance but didn't say anything. With the support of Su Yue and Jin Se, she proceeded to the adjacent room to wash face and rinse mouth. Well, someone had been quite ruthless last night, twisting and rubbing her to the point she almost fainted. Fortunately, it was just a close call, not actually fainting, which would have been quite an embarrassing situation. If she were unable to pay her respects to the Empress due to being unconscious from excessive favor, who knew how the rumors might spread.

After dressing in a manner consistent with her style from yesterday, not too extravagant or eye-catching, Shen Moyun arrived at the Zhaoming Palace. She noticed that several concubines had already gathered there. Among the Three Consorts, only Noble Consort Liu's seat remained vacant. Shen Moyun paid her respects to the Empress with proper decorum. Except for a bit of charm in her gaze and pale complexion she was no different than yesterday. .

Empress Xiao saw her face like this and a hint of a smile appeared on her face. "Consort Shu, you worked hard last night. His Majesty just sent someone to inform me that you're exempted from paying respects today. I didn't expect you to still come here."

  Shen Moyun humbly replied, "This is His Majesty's consideration, but I cannot break the palace rules."

Empress Xiao said, "Consort Shu is indeed sensible, no wonder His Majesty cares for you." She then symbolically rewarded Shen Moyun with some items, including a magpie-on-plum blossom hairpin.