Chapter 12: Xiao Jieyu

The news of the Emperor ordering Jiang Cairen to stay and recuperate in the JinHua Pavilion did not cause much disturbance in the palace. The next day, when Shen Moyun went to pay respects at the Zhao Ming Palace, Empress Xiao calmly stated, "Lady Jiang is unwell, and the imperial physician advised her to rest. His Majesty felt sorry for her weak health and cannot bear her to be exhausted, so he has exempted her from paying respect in the future, letting her take good care of herself in the JinHua Pavilion. You should also remember, do not disturb Jiang Cairen unless necessary."

"Yes," everyone acknowledged, this Jiang Cairen may never be able to raise again.

The newly arrived concubines might still shudder at the fate of Jiang Cairen. Just a month ago, Jiang Cairen was so favored that even Noble Consort Liu was left behind. But now? A simple decree had brought down the once-prominent Jiang Cairen to dust, with no hope of rising again. The Emperor was heartless, and his wrath and favor were all due to his grace. Only now did they truly experience the cruelty within the palace.

As for the seasoned ladies like Noble Consort Liu, Moral Consort Zhang, and Zhu XiuYi, who had accompanied the Emperor for years, they displayed a calm demeanor. Even Jiang Chongyi, known for her gentle as water voice, didn't bat an eye. The Yongxu Emperor, currently sitting on the throne, lacked the soft and affectionate nature of the previous Emperor. Back when he was in the Eastern Palace, many beauties had already been forgotten in the corners due to the whims of this master.

  Shen Moyun lowered her head slightly, and calmly wiped the nonexistent beads of sweat from her forehead with a handkerchief. However, in her heart she was glad that the Shen family has a decent background, and that her father could hold his ground in front of the Emperor. Otherwise, she would have to calculate and scheme like Jiang Cairen or Qin Liangren when entering the palace. Though her current days were not entirely comfortable, they were much better than the struggles faced by newly entered low-ranking concubines.

To avoid the awkward atmosphere caused by Jiang Cairen's matter, Virtuous Consort Gao changed the subject, "Younger Sister Consort Shu, that butterfly trembling on a flower branch adorning your buyao is truly beautiful. Look at it fluttering amid the flowers, it appears as if it might fly away."

Shen Moyun smiled and, with a slight movement of her neck, the long tassel hanging from the flower bud gently swayed, creating a graceful posture. She replied, "This was a gift from my elder brother before I entered the palace. It's rare to have caught the eye of Elder Sister Consort Gao."

After being warned by the Empress during their last interaction, Zhu Xiuyi had restrained her words. However, there was still a hint of discontent in her heart. Upon hearing Shen Moyun's words, she couldn't help but smile and say, "I remember seeing my cousin wear that golden buyao last year. It's an old design from the well-known Fubao Silver Shop in the capital. How come Elder Sister Consort Shu still treasures it so much? Has the Shangfu Bureau not yet presented you with new jewelry for you to choose from, forcing you to cling to these outdated pieces to maintain appearances?"
(Wardrobe/clothing bureau. Do tell me if I should leave it in pinyin or translate it)

  "Shangfu Bureau had already sent the items over. However, this buyao is a gift from my elder brother for my birthday, and holds special significance. It's usually well kept, but somehow, palace maids brought it out today. That's when I decided to wear it, cherishing my brother's affection. I assume Younger Sister Xiuyi must have a warm and close relationship with her siblings, which makes her indifferent to such things. I made you laugh." Shen Moyun spoke with a gentle smile, showing no signs of anger.

What laugh? Laugh at Shen Moyun and her siblings' strong bond? Zhu Xiuyi felt a surge of frustration. Back home, due to her spoiled nature, her siblings were unwilling to get close to her. It wasn't until she entered the Eastern Palace to serve the Crown Prince, facing numerous setbacks, that she learned the importance of family. Unfortunately, it was too late, and coupled with her lack of favor as a concubine, her elder brother's and sisters treated her coldly. Zhu Xiuyi, in the palace, needed her family's support from the outside. In the harem, a woman who believed she could be fearless relying solely on the emperor's favor was unlikely to have the last laugh. Jiang Cairen served as an example before her eyes.