Chapter 8: Old grudges, new hatred

8. Old Grudges, New Hatred

  Walking to the gate of the Zhaoming Palace, the step carriages of various masters were already waiting there, ready to receive their orders from their masters regarding whether to return to their respective residences or go elsewhere. It's just that the order in which they entered the step carriages was also particular, with the higher-ranked concubines taking the leads, following their respective ranks. However, today was a bit different. Noble Consort Liu, who was the head of the concubines, seemed not to be in a hurry. Instead, she stood at the palace gate and addressed Jiang Cairen, who stood quietly behind the others. She said, "It's very rare to see Jiang Cairen here ah. You've always been frail, unable to bear any exhaustion. What if you fainted when coming to pay respect to Her Majesty, and unintentionally let His Majesty see it. Wouldn't that make His Majesty feel distressed?"

Upon hearing the Noble Consort's words, Chen Liangren and Zhou Liangren hastily took two steps to the side. The place where Jiang Cairen stood was now isolated, with only her standing in the middle. Jiang Cairen bowed her body and calmly said, "Although I'm unwell, and the Emperor has graciously exempted me from paying respects to the Empress, the Empress is the mother of the nation, the Emperor's wife, and our master. It is a great blessing to be able to pay respect to her. How could I dare to miss it?"

Shen Moyun, upon hearing this, realized that this Jiang Cairen was not simple. In just a few words, not only she blocked Noble Consort Liu but also curry favor with the Empress. In just half a month, she had risen from a Lingyi to a Cairen, it was not solely due to her beauty. Shen Moyun recalled the Emperor's reaction from the previous night and curled her lips in her heart. Perhaps the emperor might have been fed up with all the good words and wanted to be confronted.

  Just as she was pondering, Noble Consort Liu laughed back angrily. She said, "What a sharp tongue! Truly remarkable. No wonder you can make the Emperor speak up for you..."

"Speak up?" Shen Moyun raised an eyebrow slightly and then glanced at the expressions of the others. Some seemed to have a flash of realization in their eyes, some appeared confused, while others lowered their heads indifferently. She decided that when she returned to the palace, she would have to ask Jian Rong and the others what happened in the palace recently. The palace's stage was filled with daily dramas, and lagging behind in information was something she couldn't afford.

As soon as she spoke, Noble Consort Liu felt something was amiss and quickly stopped herself from saying more. One of her palace maids tugged at her sleeve and whispered, "Niangniang, this is Zhaoming Palace." She reminded her to avoid causing any embarrassment to Jiang Cairen. There was no need to leave a negative impression in the Emperor's mind when Jiang Cairen had been enjoying great favor recently.

"Hmph." Noble Consort Liu snorted coldly and turned to her palanquin, saying, "Back to the palace." Once she was seated, the eunuchs swiftly lifted the palanquin and departed.

"Elder Sister Liu has always been straightforward and blunt. Please don't be offended, younger sister Jiang," Moral Consort Zhang came out to smooth things over, with a smile yet not a smile.

"I am not offended by Noble Consort's words," Jiang Cairen softly replied, raising her wrist to tidy up her slightly disheveled hair, revealing a portion of her snow-like complexion, adorned with a green jade bracelet that circled her white wrist.

  "Younger sister Jiang, this bracelet is truly beautiful. If I'm not mistaken, it's one of the tribute items that came from the north, isn't it?" Moral Consort Zhang showed a feigned curiosity on her face, attracting the attention of other concubines.

Jiang Cairen remained calm and replied, "A few days ago, His Majesty gave it to me along with other things, and I didn't ask him about its origin. I had no idea it was part of the tribute."