CH 29: Clearance

29. Clearance

  Noble Consort Liu chuckled lightly and said, "Consort Shu's words are indeed correct. The Empress has always been tolerant and generous. His Majesty and the Empress Dowager have praised you highly. How could you neglect one for the other? Virtuous Consort, what do you think?"

Virtuous Consort Gao, who had been sitting to the side and minding her own business, could only smile and respond, "Eldest Sister Noble Consort, your insight is truly profound. There is indeed no fault in your reasoning."

Moral Consort Zhang continued to sob, the atmosphere serious and subdued. However, Shen Moyun calmly raised her teacup and took a light sip.

Almost all the other concubines below kept their heads lowered, their breathing light and almost inaudible. Even Zhu Xiuyi, who usually spoke boldly, dared not speak at this moment. If she irritated Noble Consort Liu, then it will be her turn to be in trouble.

"Noble Consort and Consort Shu are correct. In truth, the Second Prince's words and actions have been inappropriate. Bengong loves him deeply and holds him accountable. hence my severity. This is why I was ruthless and ordered him to be punished. Moral Consort, there is no need to apologize further." Unexpectedly, Empress Xiao not only didn't get angry but spoke calmly as if she greatly agreed with their words. Who knew the topic would shift, "However, the Second Prince's manners are indeed lacking. I think next year, he should enter school. After much thought, I believe it's best to consult the Empress Dowager. Perhaps we should appoint a few experienced teaching momo's to teach the Second Prince etiquette."

Moral Consort Zhang quickly wiped away her tears and knelt before Empress Xiao, saying, "Thank you, Your Majesty, for your kindness."

However, she showed a troubled expression and added, "Your Majesty, I shouldn't refuse, but... after returning to the palace yesterday, His Majesty sent word that two teaching momos will soon be sent to Qingning Palace to teach the Second Prince etiquette and manners."

Empress Xiao's eyes were calm as water as she nodded gently, "Since that's the case, you must properly educate the Second Prince in the future and not disappoint His Majesty's earnest intentions."

"Yes, I will sincerely heed Your Majesty's teachings," Moral Consort Zhang bowed again, then with the support of palace maids, she rose and returned to her seat, carefully wiping the tears from her face with a handkerchief.

Shen Moyun lowered her eyes and looked humble. She never expected the Emperor to embarrass the Empress at this time. It seemed that the Emperor was very dissatisfied with the Empress's handling of the Second Prince's education. No father would willingly watch his son go astray. She wondered why the Emperor had tacitly approved of the Empress's actions in the past. Could there be some hidden reason?

Noble Consort Liu faintly smiled and remarked, "The Emperor truly loves his son dearly!" Suddenly, she turned to Jiang Chongyi and asked, "Sister Chongyi, your belly must be four months along now, right?"

  Jiang Chongyi nodded gently and smiled, "Eldest Sister has a good memory. Indeed, it's almost four months now."

Noble Consort Liu glanced sideways with her phoenix eyes, "Younger sister looks fragile, but her constitution is quite strong. It's strange though, our Xiao Jieyu, usually lively and active, has been troubling the imperial physicians frequently since becoming pregnant. It's causing quite a stir and noise in the palace."

Empress Xiao couldn't help but furrowed her brow, feeling a headache coming on. Xiao Jieyu's weak fetus was indeed unusual; despite all efforts to nurture and strengthen her, the verdict from the imperial physicians remained the same: weak fetal pulse. She gathered herself and did not take  Noble Consort Liu's comment to heart, instead she said, "In two days, it will be the Empress Dowager's birthday. Securing Xiao Jieyu's pregnancy is the priority. She doesn't need to attend the celebration at Shoukang Palace this time; she should stay at Cuiwei Palace. Yu Tao, later on, go to Xiao Jieyu and convey my message. Tell her to rest assured and focus on nurturing herself, to give birth to a white and chubby prince as a birthday gift for the Empress Dowager. It will bring her great joy."