CH 15: Chess

Although the Empress Dowager no longer shut herself in the palace to worship the Buddha, but she was not interested in the emperor's proposal to have the concubines visit her twice a day to pay their respects, and she issued a decree specifying that the empress would lead the concubines to Shoukang Palace only on the first and fifteenth days of each month.

When Shen Moyun learned of this decree, she was immersed in copying scriptures. After hearing the news from Hong Xi, she nodded in acknowledgment and continued her work diligently. After she finished copying a page, Su Yue asked while grinding ink for her, "Master, you've been transcribing scriptures these days. Are you planning to burn them as an offering to the bodhisattva?"

Shen Moyun rubbed her sore wrist and after hearing her words, replied with a smile, "In two months, it will be the empress dowager's birthday. Since I'm new to the palace, as a gesture of sincerity, I thought of adding another personally transcribed scripture." Looking at the beautiful and neat font, she could not help but say, "Fortunately, I learned to write big characters at home; otherwise, it would look like dog crawling and I wouldn't dare present it to her."

Su Yue nodded and commented, "Master is right. The Empress Dowager is the mother of His Majesty. Master should please her."

Shen Moyun raised an eyebrow, counted the pages she transcribed today, and felt it was enough. She instructed Su Yue to put them away and said, "Pleasing the empress dowager is what the empress should do; it has nothing to do with your master."

  Su Yue was somewhat puzzled, but Shen Moyun had no interest in responding. She just walked into the inner room, reclined on the embroidered couch, and slowly massaged her sore wrists while contemplating the current situation in the palace.

With just two instances of paying respects, it was evident that the Empress Dowager valued Xiao Jieyu greatly but wouldn't neglect the Empress's face. As for the concubines, Moral Consort Zhang have given birth to a prince, and the empress dowager could still give her a higher regard, but for others like Noble Consort Liu, Virtuous Consort Gao, Zhu Xiuyi, Qin Fanghua, and even her, the Empress Dowager held an indifferent attitude—everyone was treated equally. In other words, it doesn't matter whether they are there or not.

As for who the Emperor particularly favored or whether a concubine would be promoted or demoted, the Empress Dowager paid no attention, except for attaching more attention to Xiao Jieyu. Perhaps it was because the Empress had already given birth to the legitimate eldest son with Xiao family's bloodline, allowing the Empress Dowager to remain indifferent.

The Empress Dowager wouldn't deliberately make things difficult for her, but it didn't mean she particularly liked her either. However, for Shen Moyun, this was enough. She looked at the chessboard on the table, took the sour plum soup passed by Su Yue, took a sip, and concealed the smile on her lips.

Xiao Jieyu didn't move to the main hall of Cuiwei Palace, but she also didn't have to stay confined in Cuiwei Palace as the Emperor had stated—she could occasionally move around. In addition, the Empress Dowager granted a grace, allowing Xiao Jieyu's mother to enter the palace for a visit.

  Upon hearing Jiang Xi's report, Yuwen Xi fell silent for a moment before saying, "Xiao Jieyu has made great contribution in bearing an imperial descendant, coupled with the Empress Dowager's favor, she can be accommodated. Jiang Xi, go inform the Empress and have her make the arrangements."

"Yes," Jiang Xi bowed and replied.

At this moment, a eunuch entered carrying a tray; it was time for the Emperor to pick a card. Initially uninterested in choosing a card, Yuwen Xi's gaze shifted upon seeing a set of chess pieces on another table. Intrigued, he picked up the card for Changle Palace and lightly pressed it down.