Chapter 13: Reaction of all parties

The Liangyi Hall was an extremely sacred place where the emperor summoned the ministers to review memorials. Not to mention concubines, even the empress and the empress dowager cannot enter the hall without the emperor's permission. Since Emperor Yuwen Xi ascended the throne, the state affairs have been numerous and complicated, with unrest in the northern frontier. The emperor has been too busy to invest much effort in this year's selection of palace beauties. So apart from the Shen family's daughter that he had selected earlier, the other few palace women were selected because they were a little pleasing to look at and were from good families.

It was not until Yuwen Xi finished meeting with the last minister and dealt with the morning court affairs, that he finally had time to take a sip of the new tea presented by a young eunuch. Upon seeing this, Jiang Xi approached and said softly, "Your Majesty, Her Majesty has sent someone to pass on a message. It's about Xiao Jieyu; she's been pregnant for over a month."

Yuwen Xi was about to place the teacup back in its original position, when his movement paused briefly in mid-air, unnoticed by anyone. He gently placed the Hutan Yingqing teacup back on the table, making a crisp sound and said, "There hasn't been any happy news in the palace for many years. Send an edict: reward Xiao Jieyu with a pair of white jade Ruyi, and ten bolts of Cloud Brocade fabrics..." He continued listing several items, paused for a moment, then added, "Tell Xiao Jieyu to take good care of her pregnancy in the Cuiwei Palace and exempt her from all customary greetings."

  "This servant obeys Your Majesty's order," Jiang Xi responded. He was a bit puzzled – was His Majesty happy or unhappy about Xiao Jieyu's pregnancy news? While it seemed like a favor for Xiao Jieyu to stay in the Cuiwei Palace and attend to her pregnancy, upon closer thought, it meant she wouldn't step out of the palace for an entire year, unable to see the Emperor.

However, the Emperor's heart was hard to fathom, so Jiang Xi decided not to dwell on it further and prepared to deliver the decree to Cuiwei Palace. After taking a couple of steps, he was summoned back by the Emperor.

"The Fifth-rank Liangren, Qin Shi, has been diligently serving Zhen with a gentle and amiable nature. She is promoted to the Fourth-rank *Fanghua." The Emperor said expressionlessly. After Jiang Xi acknowledged, the Emperor added, "It's been several days since Zhen last saw the Empress. Today, I won't flip the name cards. Let's go to the Zhaoming Palace."
(Literally youth/youthfulness)
"Yes," Jiang Xi dared not look at the Emperor's expression, bowed, and left.

Yuwen Xi tapped his finger on the table, his eyes dark and unclear. His heirs were not many; besides the Crown Prince from the Empress, there was the Second Prince from Moral Consort Zhang. While it was good news for consorts and concubines to be pregnant, the status of the child's mother was a bit troublesome. The Xiao family had three empresses, and having the current Empress bear the eldest son was already his limit. As for Xiao Jieyu... his gaze darkened. He hadn't favored Xiao Jieyu many times and unexpectedly she became pregnant. He really should not have given Empress Dowager face and spared Xiao Jieyu from the bowl of contraceptive soup.

  With his thoughts spinning, Yuwen Xi quickly made up his mind. Jieyu had no qualifications to raise imperial sons or daughters. After Xiao Jieyu gave birth to the child, he would give it to Virtuous Consort Gao or Jiang Chongyi to raise. As for the Empress, Yuwen Xi had never considered this possibility. The Xiao family's women were not allowed to bear more children, let alone raise imperial offspring.

Regardless of Xiao Jieyu's intentions or the Emperor and Empress thoughts on her pregnancy, these matters didn't concern Shen Moyun at the moment. After enjoying some leisure time in Zhaoming Palace, Empress Xiao waved her hand to disperse them. Shen Moyun gracefully rose and left with the majority.