34 | SUNSET'S AND ICE'S KISS

Taehyung awoke early, feeling rejuvenated.

He hummed while trying to wake up and moved around his bed, rubbing his bare legs together. He turned to face the colder side of the bed, grinning as he pulled the cover over his shoulder. His phone was still crammed between the covers when he reached for it. The time was 7:13 a.m. It's too damn early for that. Silently, he removed it from the charge and stood up holding it so he could lean his back against the bedframe.

He then turned off the airplaine mode. Oh right, it was his birthday. He didn't even bother to look at it when he checked the time.

''Oh woah.'' He glanced at a few of his chat notifications and said to himself, drowsily. With a smile on his face, he opened the app and saw that there were ten or more messages. Jeongguk's was the lastest and the one at the top. With a smirk, he raised his eyebrows but chose to check out other people's massages before moving on to the other one.

He began responding to messages from classmates after receiving a few of them. To be honest, he's never been big on expectations when it comes to wishes, but on this occasion, he was ecstatic. He saw a text from Jin as he scrolled, followed by one from Namjoon above him, and then ones from Hoseok, Yoongi, Jimin, and Jeongguk.

As he was about to respond to Jin, he noticed two messages underneath his, which made him laugh at their order. One belonged to his sister, and the other to his brother. Never before has his thumb pressed anything as quickly as it did now. 

Hey Taehyung-ie (oppa),

First and foremost, a massive happy birthday to you! 🥳 I hope this message finds you surrounded by love, joy, and all the things that make your heart sing.

I've been doing some reflecting lately, especially after the last time you visited us here in Daegu. I know we didn't talk much, and there might have been some unspoken tension in the air. But birthdays are special, and they're a chance for new beginnings.

As your sister, I want you to know that I cherish every moment we've shared, and I wouldn't trade our memories for anything in the world. Thank you for being the best brother. You really are. I'm sorry if I'm not showing it enough to you. We may not always see eye to eye, but the bond we share is unbreakable. Believe me. Life gets crazy, and sometimes we get caught up in the whirlwind, but family is forever.

So, I wish you more laughter, more adventures, and the strength to overcome any challenges that come your way. May this year be filled with moments that warm your heart and remind you of the incredible person you are. 

I know you will do well. We're here, if not physically, then spiritually. I'm sorry for being a shitty sister. And I'm sorry that we dissapointed you with Jonggyu.

With love,

Kim Eun Jin

His heart began to race as soon as he became motionless. It seemed as though his entire body's heat concentrated in his face. Even though his thumb felt immobile and icy at the moment, he clicked on his brother's text. 

Hiii hyyyuung,

Happy Birthday! 🎉 I hope this day is treating you to all the good vibes and happiness you deserve.

It's feels like it's been a minute since our last catch-up in Daegu, and I've been meaning to drop you a line.  Your journey is something else, bro. From the stages to the melodies, you've been rocking it. Just like your music. Just like your talent.

I know we didn't get a chance to have a heart-to-heart last time, but I want you to know that no matter where this crazy ride takes you, I am here, so is Eunji, so are mom and dad.