Chapter 53

The following day, Erik and Alex make it to Paris. "Do you know where this place is?" asks Alex.

"No, I don't," Erik replies. "I remember her mentioning that it was close to the Opera House. But it could be any of these places."

"Well, what do we do? We can't just wait for someone to tell us where they are."

"I think I know someone who might help us."

At the same time, at the DeChangy apartment. Raoul is in the hallway with Eliza and Dr. Marcell. "I need to see her," whispers Raoul.

"I'm sorry, Monsieur, but she needs to rest," Eliza replies softly. "Doctors orders."

"I need to talk to her now."

"Monsieur DeChangy, she needs to rest," replied Dr. Marcell. "She's been through a lot. And until she is fully recovered, no one except myself and her maid Miss Thomas is allowed to see her."

Raoul leaves angry. Eliza and the Doctor turn to each other. "Is she going to be okay?" asks Eliza.

"She will be fine," the doctor replied. "She just needs t sleep and not leave that bed by any means."

"Yes, sir. What about the -"

"I'll be back to check on both of them in a few hours."

"Alright. Thank you." The doctor leaves. Eliza turns the door and sighs. "Erik...I hope you come quickly! She needs you. They need you. Now more than ever."

Thirty minutes later, outside the Moulin Rouge. Alex is watching Erik talking to Isabelle. She gives him a small sheet of paper. Erik notices Alex judging Isabelle and decides to introduce them. "Alex, this is Isabelle. She's an old friend of mine."

"Pleasure to meet you," says Isabelle.

"Likewise," Alex replied.

Erik turns to Isabelle and asks, "Now you are sure this is the address?"

"Yes, the Manager left it out because the ViCompt has receipts he hasn't picked up."

"Perfect. Thank you."

"No problem."

"Tell your brother that I said hi."

"Will do. I hope Christine is alright, and I hope you find her."

A few minutes later, Alex and Erik arrive at a square. They get off their horses and look around. "How do we know which one is which?" asks Alex.

"That's a good question," Erik replied. At that moment, Erik stops to notice Eliza outside moping. "Alex, stay here. I'll be right back." Alex does what he is told as Erik walks away. Once Erik is close enough, Erik is sure that he has found them. "Eliza!"

Eliza looks up, smiles, and sheds a tear as she sees Erik standing before her. "Erik!" She gasps. "Oh, thank God you've found us. But how?"

"I'll explain later. Please tell me. Where's Christine? Is she alright?"

Eliza looks at Erik with sadness. Erik is concerned, while Alex, not too far away, notices something is wrong.

"You and Alex, come with me. I'll explain everything." Eliza heads to the alley. Erik and Alex follow behind.

A few minutes later, in the basement, Erik and Alex are taken down to the basement. Eliza closes the door and locks it inside so no one can hear them. "Alright, you've brought us here now," states Erik. "Will you please tell me where she is?"

"She's fine," Eliza replies slowly. "For now." They look at her with concern. Eliza heads to a chair and sits down. Erik and Alex notice the look on her face. "As soon as we arrived, Christine and Raoul argued about everything. I tried to stop them because I didn't want the stress of her being taken away and arguing...scared her to what happened to you. She was so emotional that I was afraid that something terrible would happen. But when Christine was explaining and yelling around about who he was, she felt extreme pain in her stomach. I told Raoul to get a doctor because Christine and I knew she...went into labor."