Safe Haven

Finally, we reached our location. Wherever that is at least. They open the back doors of the van. Ordering us to file out. I'm the last to go. Hesitant and anxious about what awaits us. When I reach the doors the sun blinds me. I blink a few times in response to hopefully adjust. Once my vision comes back to full repair. I see red brick buildings. One building with a makeshift roof in some places uses a water-resistant tarp. Gardens and people are wearing grey jumpsuits. Little kids running around playing tag which eases the unsettling feelings I'm getting from the jumpsuits.

I look around, exposing myself to more buildings and people.
"Eldridge will be right with you to interview you"
A man wearing full SWAT gear states as he leads us against a wall. People stare and kids point as we await Eldor or whatever name was spoken.
My nervousness is making me sweat along with the heat that is radiating around me. Soon a woman with long dark auburn hair walks towards us. She's wearing a brown suede leather coat with some very dirty and very used jeans with some combat boots. Her face is pale, noting that she is not someone who tends the gardens or even gets out much.
"Hello, I'm Eldridge"
The lady says as she gives a smile.
Chance and Kayla are quick to greet her back. As the rest of us are hesitant. But they do give a slight smile as opposed to me.
"I'll start with the first person in line"
She points to Chance, who is overly ecstatic about this supposed interview.

I sit on the couch, observing the dirty splotches that hide the once forest green color.
She pulls out a file and writes my name on it before pulling a paper out that has tons of questions. She pulls a pen out and uses her mouth to take the cap off. Leaning back in her chair she asks me the first question.
"How old are you"
I furrow my eyebrows.
"17, I think?"
She then gives me a questionable look. As if I've said something wrong.
"What do you mean think?"
Which then causes me to shrug
"I've been in the apocalypse for so long I haven't thought of counting the days since my last birthday"
She then jots down "17" under the question. What's with that question anyways?
"Have you ever killed someone"
I'm taken aback
"No unless you count those flesh eating things"

As the questions go on they get more and more questionable. Mostly stuff they ask for their safety but also other stuff like how many pounds can I carry, have I ever cooked before?
The lady reveals that it's for what station I'll be placed at, they give us everyday duties to keep us busy and this place running. Everyone 16 and older has a job. The older you get the harder they become. With the 18 and older kids going out of the territory to find supplies.
She then leads me into a room with the others, I quickly sit down between Anna and Finn. We all start chatting about the questions. The lady then clears her throat for our attention.
We look over as she's about to speak up.
She gives a flashy smile as the guards behind her are holding those same grey jumpsuits
"Welcome to Safe Haven"