Practice Makes Perfect

Sunday, Sky's friends come over to his place for their weekly mandatory boys' night. Don't ask; he doesn't when it started-or why. Currently, Sig and Som are sprawled out in their living room, eating chips and playing video games. Sky had planned on getting his project done, especially because he spent his entire Saturday shopping for the formal with Rain but it looks like he won't be able to.

The two are being so loud and Sig won't stop pestering him to try and beat Som's ass because he's been winning. Sky finally caves in; it's not like they'll leave him alone if he doesn't.

He literally kicks Sig aside, the latter rolling on the floor and earning Som's annoying laughter. Sky takes his seat and plays the game seriously, dead set on winning. Maybe then, they'll let him do his freaking project.

But he gets distracted when the boys start asking questions.

"So, how did shopping with Rainy boy go?" Som asks, snickering. "Did he perhaps ask to drive you home?"

Sky smashes the keys on his joystick and retorts, "No, but P'Phayu did."

At this, both Som and Sig exclaim, "P'Phayu?!"

"You were with P'Phayu???" Sig nudges him with his foot which Sky elbows away. "Why didn't you tell us?"

Sky almost finds it funny how different the reactions were-almost. "What happened to staying away from their friend group because being gay is contagious?" He scoffs.

And Som gives him a not-so logical explanation. "P'Phayu is an exception! If he'll infect those close to him with anything, it's awesomeness-and power!" He says that last part just as he blasts Sky's fighter with a critical hit.

"So, what's he like up-close?" Sig butts in. "Is it true that if he stares at you long enough, you forget your name? Did you ride in his car?"

The latter clicks his tongue, ignoring their questions.

"Skyyyy." Sig pulls on Sky's arm, causing him to make a wrong move and walk right into Som's attack, getting instantly killed.

"Argh!" Sky groans, shooting his friends a glare. "If you're so curious, go ask Rain! Oh, right, you can't because you're scared you'll turn gay!"

"Who's gay?" A voice then asks and Sky and his friends whip their heads to its direction to find his father coming down the stairs.

"Good afternoon, sir." The boys greet but Sky's throat feels too tight for him to speak.

And his friends completely miss the way his Adam's apple bobs as he swallows thickly, the way his pupils quiver and he goes stiff.

"Who were you boys talking about?" Sky's father asks in feigned light-hearted curiosity. The boys buy it and Sig elaborates, "A boy from school named Rain. He and Sky are working on the formal together."

"Does that mean you have to see him a lot?" The man asks his son who doesn't miss the flicker of disapproval in his father's eyes.

"The formal's in a week so...just until then." Sky replies timidly.

"We were saying, he should be careful not to let Rain's fruitiness rub off on him." Som remarks and cackles along with Sig.

Sky's dad shakes his head. "Tsk! Tsk! Kids these days, they become gay just for attention. I feel bad for their parents; they must be so embarrassed."

Sky knows his father meant that for both Rain-and him. It's his way of telling him indirectly that should Sky ever express himself in a similar way, he would bring his family shame.

~~~

So early on Monday morning and Sky, Sig and Kao are getting an earful from their teacher for handing in incomplete prelim projects; now that's taking the concept of 'all for one, one for all' to a whole new level. And they can bet Som is getting reprimanded in his class too.